Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2020, 07:26 AM   #1

SMB Interior Fabric Glue ?

Greetings All -- anybody got info and experience on re-glueing the gray fuzzy fabric on most SMB interior's ? Fabric is along the penthouse bed rails, shelving, etc. Due to ageing processed heat - some of mine has come undone - needing new application. ALSO - what size and type of screws are used to attach the canvas top to the Penthouse top - length, etc.

Has anyone "treated" their canvas over the years - to keep it waterproof, etc ? What did you use ?

Thanks and Stay Safe California !

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #2

No first-hand experience with SMBs, but 3m spray adhesive (have used both 77 and 90) are pretty solid for adhering just about anything.
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #3

Here is what I used to attach fabric to the walls on my build. I think this is formulated for this purpose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6412.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	37600

https://www.grainger.com/product/29R...P7A1P:20501231
cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:01 PM   #4

I used 3M spray adhesive when I redid the same spots in my 1998 SMB. Worked well and was still holding strong eight years later when I sold the van last spring.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:01 PM   #5

Have used both the 3M 77 and 90. The 90 seems to hold better. Home Depot sells both types.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:31 PM   #6
Orv

Garage
If I remember right they don't recommend Super 77 for car applications because it doesn't handle the wide temperature swings well. I've seen plenty of people use it with good results, though.

When I replaced a vinyl convertible top I used 3M General Trim Adhesive to glue it to the top bows, and that worked well. Be sure to mask surfaces you don't intend to stick things to, though, it will drift like spray paint.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #7

I used both the landau top adhesive above and spray headliner adhesive for all of the interior fabric and flooring in my build. They are both formulated for high temps and have worked well in the So Cal heat for 6+ years.

If you are in So Cal A1 Foam & Fabric in Santa Ana sells both, although lately the landau top adhesive has been hard to come by. It's only available in gallons at about $55 each as far as I know.

The Rattle can headliner adhesive is also available online from several sources, including yourautotrim.com

https://www.yourautotrim.com/glues.html

I brush on the landau top adhesive (although it's formulated for spraying) and if the material is fabric it tends to soak in too much; that's when I use the spray headliner adhesive. They are both contact cements and stick to each other really well. ..Just give them a few minutes to tack up before sticking them together.

If you need to stick fabric to solid surfaces you could use spray on both surfaces or brush on the landau top adhesive on the solid surfaces.

...you want the high temperature flavor of contact cement in any case.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthayn View Post
Here is what I used to attach fabric to the walls on my build. I think this is formulated for this purpose.

Attachment 37600

https://www.grainger.com/product/29R...P7A1P:20501231
We spray this stuff all day every day. This is the right one. You don't have to wait long to stick the parts together, you have plenty of open time to work with, you can buy it in bulk, spray with very inexpensive spray guns and it holds up in an automotive environment. Watch any of the custom shop shows on TV and this is what they use. I even saw an episode where the crisis was they ran out of it in the middle of the night! You can buy it at automotive upholstery supply shops. 3m 90 is ok for a small area but you don't have much open time and it gets expensive quickly. We only use 3m 77 for temporary work like making patterns. There is at least one rattle can product just like weldwood, but it gets very expensive... like 12 cans to do one van. We have tried a couple of waterborn products but they don't work as well on foam and fabric, so we only use them for other applications.
pjtpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:19 PM   #9

Volatile

Turn off your pilot lights and any open flame. Set up a fan 4’ away to carry off fumes. Think of ether until it cures. Stay safe.
boz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:09 PM   #10

Something to try before applying fresh glue and avoiding a potential mess is to try to reactivate the old glue with an iron. Try it on about medium heat, be sure to use some fabric between the iron and your fabric so you don’t accidentally burn it. I’ve had success with this before.
Eatmorefish is offline   Reply With Quote