Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2020, 09:33 AM   #1

Solar Panel Size/Needs for House Battery ?

Greetings -- So if I have a 400 AGM house battery (new) - what would be the recommended size of solar panel(s) and controller to keep battery charged up during boon docking (12 volt small SMB fridge - charge multiple camera batts - run some interior lights/radio, etc. - and also for trickle charging/maintaining house battery while vehicle is parked for a couple of months without access to shore power ? Appreciate forum input !

Russ G

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #2

anything will trickle a battery, but a system is not that simple. you havent provided enough info to make anything more than a guess.

however, this link will make you ask yourself the questions you need to know to build a system that should work well.

https://www.renogy.com/learn-system-sizing/

of course you could just throw a 100watt panel on the roof with a simple controller and cross your fingers
atomicfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:44 PM   #3

I have been running 2 renogy eclipse 100 watt panels for five years now with two group 31 AGM batteries. Thats 100 watts per battery and it has provided me with all of the power i need to fulltime in my RV. It provides everything i need with the exception of running the AC and the microwave. If i need to use those i start the generator.

I purchased the controller oversized thinking that i would need to add more panels down the road. Never did, so far the two panels have provided everything i need. They run my interior lights, the heater, charge my laptops and phone, plus the two maxxair fans, one of which i run nearly 24 hours a day everyday.
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 03:12 PM   #4

Garage
Part of the formula you are faced with is influenced greatly on exposure to Sun - Do you seek shade to park under when you are traveling? When you say the Van is "parked for months" is it completely exposed where its sits, or hindered some due to trees/branches/house/roof ?
Whatever you finally decide, I would recommend incorporating a combination of roof & suitcase panels. The flexibility of the suitcase panels allows for a lot of options to reach sunshine, prolonging exposure.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:53 PM   #5

Like Chinook, I was fine with 200W. My experience was on a travel trailer with two 6v golf cart batteries (about 210 Ah) for about five years. I'm installing two 100W panels on my van with two 110 Ah AGM batteries.

I do come from a sailboating background so we've always been conservative with our use of power.

However, everyone is different in how much power they use.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:17 AM   #6

Another factor to consider is where you are. Northern latitudes receive less DIRECT sunlight due to the angle of the sun. I was surprised by how much less even in August in Homer AK. Having the ability to angle the panels is very helpful (essential) when further up north. The suitcase style portable panels can be angled. While on the subject of sun angle - I find many people do not take into consideration the shading created by other roof mounted accessories including fans. A small amount of shading on a panel (say 5%) can cut the panel output by 95%. try it sometime by covering three cells on a 60 cell panel.

re: sizing - While 200w can be sufficient, I went with nearly double that at 360w. We ski and camp out of our van during the winter. Having more capacity allows us to capture more watts in a shorter period on less sunny days when the sun peeks out from behind the clouds, or more at a lower rate on heavily overcast days, or when the angle of the sun is lower.

Rigid fixed panels can be added after initial installation if you have the room and plan ahead for expansion. Start w 200w keeping in mind adding additional panels should be done with panels matching voltage and wattage and ratings. (Good explanation here: https://solarpanelsvenue.com/mixing-solar-panels/ )
Old 11-14-2020, 07:52 AM   #7

By the way, if the width of your available space is an issue, Renogy has a 100W panel that's only 19.5" x 42.2" for under $97 on Amazon with free shipping. I'm installing two on my van.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #8

good panels and a good price
atomicfab is offline   Reply With Quote