Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2015, 12:51 PM   #1

SOLD 1993 Ford Econoline 250 "RB13'ish" Sportsmobile w/ PTop

SOLD

Up for sale is a 1993 Sportsmobile Ford Econoline 250, built at Sportsmobile North direct from the Ford Factory. The van currently has 138,737 miles on it. I purchased the van from an RV dealer down in Florida with 128,900 miles on May 27th, 2011. I'm asking $15,000 OBO. The van is located in Central NJ. I can be reached through PM or email. I will provide my cell number privately.

jwstampfl at visualrealms dot com

For now I am listing the van here, but will list on Craigslist as well once I secure a new van.

From Ford
  • -2WD Econoline 250
    -Factory fuel tank
    -Tow package
    -Front disc, rear drum brakes
    -5.8L (351) OBDi gas engine
    -40D transmission w/ Overdrive
    -Vanilla in color. It's not white and it's not tan.

From Sportsmobile
  • -RB-13 (or something along those lines)
    -seats 8, sleeps 4
    -two-burner stove and propane system (still using the propane that came with the van)
    -refrigerator
    -sink (cold water only) w/ fresh water tank (under rear driver's side bench) and gray water tank (under the van)
    -swivel driver and passenger front captains chairs with armrests
    -closet (with shelving by me)
    -dining table
    -one house battery (under rear driver's side bench)
    -manual pop top with bug screens all around
    -pop out windows with bug screens on the barn doors (sans the driver's side rear barn door bug screen - did not come with the van)
    -curtains throughout the van, including the front window curtain. Side barn doors have the accordion shades (one is new and does not match the original in color)

Cosmetics & Other
I of course have done quite a bit to the van in the 4yrs of ownership to clean up and update the look of the van.
  • -16x8.5" MB wheels (rated @ 3600lbs ea) w/spare
    -265/75/16 E-rated Cooper Discover ATP w/spare (installed @ 133,983)
    -2" front lift
    -rear helper leaf to level out the back-end
    -Bushwacker fender flares
    -home-built passenger side ladder modeled after the Aluminess ladder
    -home-built roof rack with kennel flooring
    -LED side and rear accessory flood lights
    -custom rear bumper swing arm for box and spare tire (box not included in the sale)
    -CARR driver/passenger door steps and larger side door step
    -Billet fuel door w/key
    -left & right power rear view mirrors
    -replaced all interior door pulls and modified the mounting for added strength
    -new inverter 7/22/2011
    -added front steering stabilizer
    -new head unit, speakers all around (except side door speaker), sub woofer and Fosgate 4-channel amp
    -replaced rear license plate tub
    -replaced pop top 3rd brake light with LED
    -added rear bumper LED signals
    -new EBay headlights/signals (big improvement cosmetically and functionally)

Service (I have a spreadsheet for this)
  • -New AC compressor, flush and serviced 7/22/2011
    -New mufflers 11/24/2012
    -Moog sway bar bushings 11/24/2012
    -New starter battery 11/27/2013
    -Replaced passenger side exhaust gasket & manifold 7/23/2014
    -Replaced ball joints both sides 7/23/2014
    -Replaced house battery with marine battery

Also included
  • -Shore power cord
    -two gray water hoses

Not included
  • -rear box & roll-up table
    -awning
    -Rotopax fuel can
    -TV & Mount (negotiable)
    -Car PC (negotiable)
    -bike rack
    -seat covers
    -locking fuel door

This van has served our family very well. We use it a lot and love it, but want more room, 4WD and are looking for a different floor plan which is why we are selling. When I bought the van, it looked to have been very well kept. There were a few hacks that I had to reverse, ie: rear window AC and some cosmetic items that had to go, ie: alum running boards, but all in all it is in great shape with all its original equipment. We just recently added the carpet tiles to help preserve the original carpet. Of course the van is 22 years old so it does so some signs of it's age. The following are a list of items to note:
  • -The rear drapes need 4 or 5 new plastic tabs sewn in (I bought a set, but have not installed them).
    -The passenger side rear barn door shows signs of some sort of incident which is why I replaced the rear license plate tub as it was cracked.
    -There are a few slight dents on the rear body near the passenger barn door - possibly same incident. I tried to use a as-seen-on-TV dent puller to pop them out, but only slightly improved the look.
    -door ding on the driver's side body
    -small tear in the the pop top canvas where the ceiling molding worked its way through the canvas over time. I added super glue to stop any further tearing.
    -drivers side rear gutter is showing signs of rust - my guess is the original owner had it parked in such a way that all the water drained off the top at the same location all the time. I did a mild repair, when I first purchased the van, but it will come back.
    -brakes fluid has a very slow leak, but I have not chased down the leak yet.
    -the plastic door bezel on the rear driver's side barn door has some hacks as a result of the rear window AC.
    -AC/Heater fan switch only works on speed 4. I pulled it apart to see if the contacts were bad, but they all looked fine and was not able to fix the problem.

In general the van is in great condition. There are no signs of body rust that I am aware of (besides the gutter in the rear). The paint is in very good condition for a single stage 22 y/o factory paint job. The undercarriage shows typical surface rust. The carpet and upholstery is in good shape (one tear on the pull strap for the rear bench cushion and minor wear on the driver's seat where you slide on and off the seat). The refrigerator works great for us. We can store 4 days of food in there with no problem. The engine and transmission are fine and pull our boat and track car in an enclosed trailer with no problems. The pop top shows some surface cracking, but has not given me any problems.

I'm sure I've missed a few things, so please ask.

Official For Sale photos: http://gallery.visualrealms.com/categor ... cat_id=241

You can find many of my build photos here: http://gallery.visualrealms.com/cate...php?cat_id=211

Also, this is my build thread here on the forum: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...hp?f=13&t=7146

Old 07-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #2

Re: 1993 Ford Econoline 250 "RB-13'ish" Sportsmobile w/ Pop

What will it take to throw that Corrado in
Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror
What will it take to throw that Corrado in
sadly, I have way more into the Corrado than I do into the van. And shamefully, the Corrado hasn't been touched in a few years after we broke the engine and then bought a boat.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #4

added all new "for sale" photos http://gallery.visualrealms.com/cate...php?cat_id=241
Old 08-13-2015, 06:39 AM   #5

Time to get serious about this sale. Entertaining offers and will be putting the van on Craigslist.

Posted: http://cnj.craigslist.org/rvs/5170824679.html
Old 08-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #6

Man I wish you were in WA right now, I'd be bringing the money. Cool older van with nice mods to bring it with looks and functionality. GLWS
mrsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsoul
Man I wish you were in WA right now, I'd be bringing the money. Cool older van with nice mods to bring it with looks and functionality. GLWS
Old 09-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #8

Re: SOLD 1993 Ford Econoline 250 "RB13'ish" Sportsmobile w/

SOLD - Off to a new home. New blood to the Sportsmobile family.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #9

Hate to bug you about it here......and now that the van is sold....but I had 2 questions....

1. What did you do to modify the interior door handles? My van is about the same vintage and I am looking to do something to improve my door handles.

2. What did the ball joint replacement run you?

Thanks!

BB
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBlair
Hate to bug you about it here......and now that the van is sold....but I had 2 questions....

1. What did you do to modify the interior door handles? My van is about the same vintage and I am looking to do something to improve my door handles.

2. What did the ball joint replacement run you?

Thanks!

BB
No worries! Glad to help.
2. I don't recall and gave the paper work to the new owner. I can reach out to them to see if they'll take a photo of the invoice.

1. I'll do my best to describe since I no longer can take photos of what I did.

When I purchased the van, the problem I was seeing with the handles, in addition to them being loose was that the plastic chrome screw covers were all cracked - especially towards the inner two screws (of the four screws per handle) - those inner two screws took the brunt of the force when pulling on the handle to close the doors. And because the screws first go through the plastic cover, the cover in turn cracks and breaks up.

I ended up buying all new handles and to solve this problem, instead of inserting the two inner screws through the plastic cover and then through the handle into the door, I first secured the two inner screws right through the handle into the door. In some cases I added a piece of backer metal in the door so that the screw had something more substantial to bite into (the wood or plastic door pieces were tired and striped).

Since I put the screw right onto the handle, the plastic chrome cover had to be modified so that it would sit flush over the screw already in place. To do this I used a dremel and shaved down the plastic hole on the back side of the cover to make clearance for the screw head.

Now that the handle was secured with the two inner screws and the plastic cover sat flush, I inserted the two outer screws as normal through the plastic cover, then through the handle and into the door substrate.

I did this within the first year of ownership and never saw a single problem with this approach. The handles stayed firmly in place and none of the plastic chrome cover failed.

I hope this makes sense.