***More interior pictures to come.
Interior transformer setup:
-Front passenger swivel
-Two Toyota Sienna captain full recliner seats
-Removable bed platform (comes out in minutes and no supports left in the way)
-Bench seat can be installed when bed is removed.
This Quigley van is a beast and is RUST FREE. Unfortunately, it needed more work than I anticipated and I put too much time and money into it and now need to get some back out. For my sake and the sake of my marriag
I had every intention of building this out into a transformer van and began to do so in the best way possible. It just ended up being too much work and life plans are shifting and I don’t have time to do the rest. Live and learn!
I went about all interior work with the intention of keeping this van for the long haul. I stripped it all the way down and made sure to do all of the prep work correctly.
-Stripped everything out if the interior to the bare metal.
-I Went on a long and extensive hunt for any leaks in the front cab area as well as the entire cargo area of the van. These vans often collect water in the front driver and passenger floor and I wanted to ensure this would not happen after I insulated so I spent countless hours tracing small leaks before insulating. This is detailed in other threads. The van has no leaks now.
-Painted the entire floor with POR 15 to avoid any future rust issues. There were no significant spots just a few normal and minor brown spots but nothing eating away.
-Any unnecessary holes in the floor from previous owners or seating were filled. I used plastic grommets for that.
-I laid down multiple layers of Insulation for heat and sound. I have some other threads on here showing my process but I used Dynamat, Thinsulate, mass loaded vinyl and minicell. All in all over $1,000 in MATERIALS ONLY for the insulation. I worked very hard at sound deadening as well as temperature control.
-I replaced all of the door gaskets with gaskets from the Pick-N-Pull from newer models that were still in good shape. This made a huge difference in sound and water leaks.
-For the floor I used ¾” birch plywood with authentic Loncoin flooring over the top.
-I have two Toyota Sienna recliner seats for the rear as well as a 4 person bench seat
-I re-wired all of the speakers with hi end speaker wire and included a 10” SUB in the back and tweeter in the front.
-I Installed a front swivel for the passenger seat.
-Installed backup camera
-Installed removable platform system for bed
Mechanical work since I purchased in February of 2018
Did a full coolant flush at 238,000 miles on Feb. 20th. We can discuss the coolant I used after countless hours researching the topic.
New radiator hoses
New gasket for thermostat housing
New windshield wipers
New both batteries in the vehicle
New Fuel Filter
New Air Filter
New Flex Plate
Repaired and re-charged AC--- Now blows very cold!
Complete front end work- All new Tie Rods Bushings etc.. $2700 in work
Replaced studs on left rear wheel
Rear differential service
Break fluid exchange
Transmission fluid exchange
Transfer case service
Replaced passenger door handle
Repaired rear AC actuator.
New Doghouse and gaskets
New Drive Shaft
NEW TURBO INSTALLED-$2200
Fixed the seat belt minder. Rather than repairing the whole instrument cluster I spoke with another member on the Sportsmobile forum and he walked me through how to disengage the seatbelt sensor chime. I elected to go that route.
All this work was over $15,000. And all was done in the last 6 months.
If you are interested in this vehicle you will most likely see other threads and posts from me detailing some of my complaints and struggles with the van. Please reach out to me if you have questions because I believe nearly every complaint I had has been fixed. A lot of problems were from the failed turbo and that was replaced once I got it to a good diesel mechanic. However, we can discuss other items further and I can send any photos I have of the repair process.
Van is substantially quieter with replaced Turbo, new door gaskets and all of the additional dynamat and MLV I added after my first go at the insulation. Originally I only used frostking and thinsulate. The mass loaded vinyl and dynamat helped a lot.
The van has no interior leaks. I spent countless hours tracking and sealing them.
The van has excellent power and improved fuel economy since I replaced the turbo.
The AC is ice cold. It did not require a compressor.
Extra large roof rack
Upgraded sound system
Riff Raff Diesel
6” LCD stereo screen
Large Amplifier and subwoofer
Back up camera
Van still needs:
-Cruise control and horn don’t work. (I have heard there is an easy fix for this but I have not had time to tackle it.)
-Parking brake is very weak and does not hold very well
-Plywood is needed to seat on top of the bed frame. Mattress is also not included.
-The seats are not permanently installed. There are holes through the metal frame of the van however, I have not drilled through the new flooring. I thought someone may want a different setup.
-The light switch for the LED lights in the rear is not installed. I have the switch and it's wired. It just needs a lead from the battery and then a location picked for where you want the switch.
-The exterior has a dent in rear on the drivers side (see pictures)
-While there is no rust, the paint has chipped in various locations.