Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #1

SOLD: Sportsmobile 4x4 E350 Super Duty with CCV Penthouse

Black Betty is for sale! We have owned this van for about 4 years now and our family is outgrowing it so its time to let someone else enjoy it, planning to do a new custom build this spring. We recently completed (July 2021) a 4000 mile trip throughout the west coast with zero issues, up plenty of mountain grades in extreme heat, and have camped in the snow with it several times as well. Did a similar ~4000 mile trip last summer with no issues either, and I wouldn't hesitate to take this van anywhere. I've been very proactive about maintenance and upgrades, many of which I have this for. 30,000 miles on the completely overhauled and bulletproofed 6.0L engine. I had engine-out service done when we first bought the van and had the head studs done, as well as all the bulletproof diesel upgrades for which I have all receipts. Passes emission in Arizona with flying colors.

When we bought the van the interior was set up as a stock Ford Chateau passenger van with the Sportsmobile 4x4 system installed (links below to specs but I'm sure folks on this thread are familiar). We have since customized the interior and added the 4-season CCV Penthouse top with fan, as well as many other upgrades including an Espar diesel cabin heater, inverter/charger, L-tracks with Sienna leather recliners, upgraded bumpers & winch, Frontrunner roof rack with 300W of solar (more than enough to keep the house batteries topped off even with the large dual zone fridge/freezer included), interior storage including cabinets on the 60/40 side doors, and many more upgrades listed below. Short build thread here.

Fluids always changed ahead of time, I have a dropbox file full of receipts although the last few oil changes I have done myself. She will be due for an oil change in about 2,000 miles (just changed the oil before we left on our trip). Tires have quite a bit of tread left on them. Van is ready to go as-is, or continue to customize it to your needs.

Note that the photos show just 2 Sienna seats installed - sale includes 4 of them, all with the L-track quick release brackets installed as well as the MG Metalworks custom steel bases. Buyer responsible for transportation from our location in Phoenix, AZ - van length is about 21ft, height around 10ft. If you need financing, I recommend checking into LightStream. We have well over six figures in the build, asking $93,000. No urgency to sell so please no lowball offers.

Any questions or additional photos, please feel free to message me.

CLICK FOR GOOGLE DRIVE FOLDER WITH ADDITIONAL PHOTOS
  • 2006 E350 6.0L SuperDuty Diesel chassis, 221,000 miles on the odometer/chassis but only 30,000 since full engine-out rebuild. Gets about 15mpg on the highway
  • 40gallon fuel tank - this gives you usually around 600 miles of range
  • Sportsmobile 4x4 & lift performed when new to install their full 4x4 system including Atlas II Transfer Case. See links below for full specs
  • https://sportsmobile.com/sportsmobile-4x4/
  • https://sportsmobile.com/sm-4wd-power-stroke/
  • Engine fully Bulletproofed & Overhauled at 191,220 miles, including head studs. Over $12,000 spent - receipts available
  • Colorado Camper Van (CCV) penthouse top installed 4/2019 @ $15,250
  • Child size bed sits over the driver/passenger side, and an RV queen over the rear area. We slept one child up top, and another on the shelf behind the rear seats (and both adults in the queen, total of 4 people)
  • 6 LED lights on dimmer, electronic lift kit, USB ports, bed panels, color match, full cutout upgrade, Thermoite insulation for winter or summer, Aluminum unistrut roof rails full length
  • MaxxAir Deluxe Vent fan with remote
  • Tru-cool max 40,000lb heavy duty transmission cooler
  • Hood Louvres for improved air flow in engine bay
  • Custom steel & powder coated rock sliders, full length, by Hunter Off Road
  • Aluminess rear bumper with spare tire mount & deluxe box with top rails, and Thule SpareMe Bike Rack
  • Frontrunner Outfitters Slimline II roof rack with 300W of solar panels on top
  • Heavy Duty Blue Ridge Overland Gear XL Tire Storage Bags x2 - One stores the portapotty, the other is for trash (or however you wish to use them). These are constructed of the same material that rooftop tent covers are made of, and will last for years unlike the Trasharoo which you usually have to replace every season (at least in AZ)
  • L-Track across entire rear of van for full adaptability of rear area. Easily remove all the rear seats and shelf and use the van as a cargo van when needed.
  • 4x Toyota Sienna leather recliner seats with quick-release for L-Track
  • Aluminess Driver side ladder
  • Buckstop Baja bumper in Aluminum ($3250) with front hitch - best off-road bumper for the 6.0L Diesel as it allows air to pass through the bumper to the lower part of the radiator, unlike the Aluminess bumpers
  • Full Rigid LED Light bar, with separately switched side and rear LED lights
  • Fiamma F45S Awning
  • 60/40 rear doors with storage, fold down tables and paper towel holder
  • 5” Performance Exhaust
  • Warn 16.5Ti Winch with remote
  • Custom aluminum “booty box” in the rear floor for recovery gear. Happy to include all of the recovery gear in the sale.
  • Turbo rebuilt 5/2015
  • LED Headlamps
  • American Racing 16” Off Road Wheels with Nitro Terra Grappler 315/75 R16s new in 2019, 50% life left
  • Xantex Freedom inverter/charger, 110V and 12v outlet
  • Dometic Dual Zone CFX-95DZUS 90 quart fridge/freezer included in sale. Fantastic fridge, keeps things cool below 0F if you want it to, and doubles as a bench and a step in the rear to get up into the penthouse top.
  • Customized propane fire pit to sit on top of Aluminess Deluxe box, with propane storage in the box
  • 2-piece rear shelf, custom made of honeycomb-constructed aluminum for maximum strength / low weight. Allows you to install all 4 Sienna seats if you choose, with 1-piece shelf, or 2 Sienna seats with the 2-piece shelf. Doubles the storage in the rear space.
  • Espar 12v diesel high altitude capable bunk heater
  • Lizard skin ceramic insulation and sound control coating, entire floor
  • Custom molded carpet kit
  • DEI heat shield for dog house and engine compartment + heat shield
  • 8x USB outlets throughout, including 2x in the penthouse top
  • AC service 5/2021
  • Dash Mounted Inclinometer and Altimeter, and wireless TPMS
  • Custom Mountain/Woodland decal graphics
  • Bushwacker fender flares
  • Front window deflectors
  • LED lights throughout interior
  • Front passenger seat swivel
  • SCTFlash ODBII Programmer
  • Front seats have Tactical Molle seat covers with lots of modular storage options on the rear
  • Air Horn
  • Blackout curtains in penthouse top, for privacy from front of van
  • Northstar AGM house batteries x2 and starter batteries x2
  • Roll-up window shades for all rear windows, constructed of reflectix strips custom sewn into blackout material
  • Pop-out windows installed into rear doors for added ventilation
  • ScanGauge II ODBII gauge
  • Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
  • Replaced radiator proactively @ 200,000 miles with Mitsumoto low-temp thermostat
  • 215,000 mile service: Brakes, Shocks (KYB monomax Performance)
  • 217,000 miles: Oil Change (Royal Purple 15W-40)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6031.jpg   IMG_6038.jpg   IMG_6039.jpg   IMG_6042.jpg   IMG_6057.jpg  

IMG_6060.jpg  

ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:16 AM   #2

Awesome build

Awesome build. I just finished our very similar build (sienna recliners, low-impact interior, and all -- even those style of curtains), and have an overpowering desire to share a pic from yesterday, but don't wanna thread hijack. (Ndudes, I'll post a pic in my profile).

I can reconfirm that the OP's rig easily has six figures in it.
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:53 AM   #3

Thanks @scuba, its been a great van for us. FYI I will probably take it up to the Overland Expo in Flagstaff end of September if it hasn't sold by then, if any interested parties want to see it in person.

If we don't sell it now we may just drive it until the wheels fall off - which might be around a million miles the way this thing is running!
Old 08-12-2021, 06:28 PM   #4

Who did your floors/seats? Are they DOT approved? Your build looks great!
Countyfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:37 PM   #5

I don't know how you'd get them "DOT approved" since I'm not an automobile manufacturer but they're at least as sturdy as the factory ones. My kids are still small (4 and 6 years old) so I wouldn't take any shortcuts with their safety thats for sure. The L-tracks are attached to the frame as well as the body wherever the frame was available, and there are dozens of bolts going through each of the 4 L-tracks. The nice thing about the Sienna seats as many on this forum know is the seatbelts are integrated in (and obviously Toyota got the seats themselves DOT approved) so you can move them around as desired, and the bases they're mounted to are a very heavy gauge steel. I bought all of the parts for this setup but Action Van down in Mesa installed them for me. I believe others on this forum have done similar installs. They have the same Unwin brand quick-release that airline seats have on them as well. The entire setup was pretty pricey (thousands of $$), but turned out pretty perfect!
Old 08-20-2021, 10:03 PM   #6

Price drop to $85,000. Anyone that wants to see it in person I'll be bringing it up to the Overland Expo in Flagstaff end of September, probably only be there on Friday the 24th though.
Old 08-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to bettyford
Wow.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:06 PM   #8

van is SOLD