Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #1

Sportsmobile van

This guy had the nerve to call this van a Sportsmobile!!
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/4439086326.html
NOT MINE
Buck

Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #2

Re: Sportsmobile van

Let's see:

Galley - Check!
Storage - Check!
Bed/sleeping area - Check!

Looks like it has everything a Sportsmobile has. What's your point?

Old 04-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #3

Heh- I'm fairly certain he just threw "Sportsmobile" in there so anyone looking would find it, and maybe think "hmmm, maybe I should try out this $1/20 option and see how much I really need the rest" ... That's exactly what I would have done

I guess I'll use this opportunity to introduce myself- I'm an off-road random-adventure type from old- and have gone down the articulation path to the point of owning a couple Unimogs, but that's not really my thing. More, I just like seeing an interesting-looking spot and then exploring it, which a road-legal-tractor isn't needed for. My last most-favored companion for this was a Nismo Frontier (4WD, locking rear) - and it did everything I needed- up to the woods, out to the desert- anywhere and everywhere. More recently, I'd been rolling around in a 25' International School Bus, which while of course nowhere near capable of going the places the Nissan could, provided many other amenities and was in fact about as off-road-capable as any non-4WD school bus is going to get. Unfortunately some thugs broke in to it and stripped out all the wiring making it extremely costly to repair, so now I'm here in Econoline Land. I picked up an old white E-350 contractor-style van that already has front and rear hitches and racks, and just will be throwing some flooring, a futon, a sound system, and some insulation and lighting and tables/cooler etc in the back- along with some solar and baskets on top and calling it good as a camping/adventure vehicle. Nowhere near a formal Sportsmobile of course, but you guys seem the be the best source of knowledge around these anywhere, so I'm glad to be in your company

Cheers-
-SS
scosol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #4

That's nicer than the first van Kim and I went around the country in, inside and out. Myself I'd buy it and set off a paintbomb on that chipwood first thing, but that's a good looking interior for what it is (a van to give candy out of?)
Old 04-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #5

*sigh* - mine looks almost exactly like that now, and my friends are already giving me the "free candy and pokemon" jokes Anyway- I'll take some pics for a before and after thing and throw it in the "build" forum- not that it will really be revolutionary, but my solar setup will be state-of-the-art and as I'm covering the interior in bare reflectix with some Galaxian lasers inside and a steady-RMS mid-level ~600w soundsystem there may be some entertaining videos that arise.
scosol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #6

You gotta love that gritty unfinished chipboard look!
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns
You gotta love that gritty unfinished chipboard look!
And the way it really absorbs spills!

This house had a chipboard workbench when I moved in, and literally the first thing I did was replace it with cabinet grade plywood and then stain and seal that.

It boggles that such nice clean work was wasted on chipboard. Someone who is slightly handy could remove it piecemeal and use the chipboard for a template to re-create the layout and features in a better grade product.