Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2023, 12:24 PM   #1

StarCool Fuses or Relays ?

Hi Guys -

So kinda in a pinch here - I've got the StarCool III model and locals really don't want to work on the critter - so - asking if anyone can tell me the location of the relays or fuses related to "running" the unit - before I go to an AC shop.

I'm getting 60 deg cool out of unit - but chassis AC blowing just air - when BOTH systems running.

I've got the 2002 E350 - V10 - StarCool III - anybody out there can shoot me a photo of locations of fuses and/or relay applicable to running the unit ? Appreciate ya !

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 05:53 PM   #2

On the sportmobile manuals sticky, there is a section under starcool that Starcool flowchart that shows the flow that turns on the starcool.

I should add the manuals are also in that same page
-greg

Sportsmobile Manuals
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 06:05 PM   #3

Where are you located? Maybe a local forum member could help you out in person.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 07:52 AM   #4

Hey BrianW -- located just north of Atlanta -- I think I'm the only one with a SMB for MILES !?
Old 05-13-2023, 08:16 AM   #5

If it is working fine when parked and running off of shorepower, I would suspect the solenoid valve is stuck closed as a possible issue. This would be in the closed position when on shorepower, but should be open when the engine is running.

-greg
Old 05-13-2023, 08:57 AM   #6

Garage
Is the condenser fan by the drivers side door well spinning?
Old 05-13-2023, 10:34 AM   #7

On my SMB, the relays were located under the rear seat / bed on the passenger side.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 04:58 PM   #8

Scalf77 - Condenser fan running OK - Running on shorepower the StarCool seems to be running fine - but the chassis AC still blowing hot (85-90 degrees today). Where is the solenoid located ? I'll try replacing the "Relay" - under the couch and third from the driver side going "left" ?? 4 pin - 30 amp ??

There is a box on driver side - next to what "looks" like a small black compressor (?) - with a yellow wire running into it - not sure what the "box" is or the wire ?
Where can one get a replacement solenoid on a 22 year old StarCool III ? If one can be "found" - where to install it ? Can a "third grader" do it ? Unhook the chassis battery AND house battery when working on the solenoid ?

Appreciate all the replies --
Old 05-13-2023, 05:01 PM   #9

Taking the van to the "shop" tomorrow - to have the chassis AC freon checked with dye and yes I know the whole AC system needs more freon due to StarCool sharing chassis freon. I'll be sure to hammer that home !
Old 05-13-2023, 08:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
Scalf77 - Condenser fan running OK - Running on shorepower the StarCool seems to be running fine - but the chassis AC still blowing hot (85-90 degrees today). Where is the solenoid located ? I'll try replacing the "Relay" - under the couch and third from the driver side going "left" ?? 4 pin - 30 amp ??

There is a box on driver side - next to what "looks" like a small black compressor (?) - with a yellow wire running into it - not sure what the "box" is or the wire ?
Where can one get a replacement solenoid on a 22 year old StarCool III ? If one can be "found" - where to install it ? Can a "third grader" do it ? Unhook the chassis battery AND house battery when working on the solenoid ?

Appreciate all the replies --

So if the unit is running good on just shorepower then that would most likely rule out any leaks. Also the relay that turns on the compressor and the AC solenoid would be working. The box you were describing contains the 110 relay and some caps. All the outputs of the relays can generally be checked on the terminal strips. When taking it in make sure that you tell them to do their checks with the starcool running. turn on the rear switch on and show them how to turn on the starcool with the switch behind the drivers head (left side)

Give them a copy of the Starcool manual that i pointed you to, it has both the operating manual and service manual combined, also the last page has a picture of the capacities that was on my rig.

The solenoid is in the front, you can check page 11 of the combined manual. It is item #6 solenoid valve. Normally when the van is running this valve would be open, it gets closed when you are on shore power, it will also most likely have a yellow wire going to it. You need a professional to replace, as the freon would need to be delt with properly. The valve will look like this

http://www.danhard.com/images/12-2130.jpg
A shop could probably find a replacement at Danhard.com.

Working while driving is actually the easier of the two conditions. The other easy thing to check is to make sure the "engine isolate" circuit is working. It is a fused (15 amp) connection (usually at the steering column), this is hot (12V) when the van is running. That also would not be needed if running on shore power. The wire is connected to terminal 2 on the terminal strip, that circuit is identified with the light blue on the flow diagram I made on the last page.

Good luck

greg