Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #1

Start Chassis Batt From House Battery ?

Greetings,

So this 2002 E350 I have has the option to start the chassis/engine from the house battery. None of my previous vans had this option. I'd like to "test" this option out before traveling.

If chassis batt is fully charging and good to go - would I damage the chassis batt/system by pushing the house batt/button to start ?

ALSO - my electrical system has relays - marked P/N 2626 - 1981 USA - 12 - volt

Other than by pulling one of these relays - does anyone know if these relays are - 4 pin -- or 5 pin. relays ? I wanted to buy a couple for backup to travel with.

Advance Auto could not find anything in their system using the above numbers. I "assume" these are 30 amp relays (?). Any feedback appreciated !

Thanks

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
Greetings,

So this 2002 E350 I have has the option to start the chassis/engine from the house battery. None of my previous vans had this option. I'd like to "test" this option out before traveling.

If chassis batt is fully charging and good to go - would I damage the chassis batt/system by pushing the house batt/button to start ?

Thanks

On most older builds all that does is parallel the house battery to the starting battery. So no it will not hurt. What is important to know is most of these setups are intended to assist the starting battery. Unless you know the size bus wire that links the two batteries is large enough, an undersized bus can get pretty hot when cranking the engine if the starting battery is very low or dead. Just like using jumper cables, sometimes you have to leave the cables connected for a bit to help the starting battery regain some of its charge before attempting to start the engine. Not sure about your relays.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:58 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply daveb -- can one "assume" - that if van is a true SMB Fresno build - wiring size and relays are appropriate to the intended operation and will not be an issue ?

Best Regards
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:50 PM   #4

Garage
I have exercised this option. I quite like it. The start battery was about 12 years old and didn't want to go. I hit the combine switch and away we went. I have since replaced both batteries.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:24 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
Thanks for your reply daveb -- can one "assume" - that if van is a true SMB Fresno build - wiring size and relays are appropriate to the intended operation and will not be an issue ?

Best Regards

My 06 SMB had #4 stranded copper tapped off the separator that led to the starting batteries on the side rail. I replaced the short section with #2 copper. Also a diesel has higher cranking amps and twin batteries so I was a bit concerned. The idea is to turn over the engine without a lot of continuous cranking. This was explained to me during my van pick-up date. But heck, I jumped my pickup with a wire clothes hanger. The wire got hot but my truck started.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote