Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2021, 01:49 PM   #1

Suspicious ? Buying SMB Related Parts - Beware ?

Greetings -- this has happened twice to me over the past 6 months - Interested in an item "for sale" within the forum - or a "forum member" informs me that a part I want is for sale - "contact this guy." Well "this guy" is contacted -he replies via text - item is all boxed up or wrapped up - but "this guy" won't send a photo - because "it's all boxed up."

And seller want payment via Zelle - or Cashapp. Googleing "Zelle" - I see several posts regarding buyer remorse because of "item damaged or not as described" when received. Who wants to buy an "empty box" or "damaged goods ?"

NOT ME - just beware ! Or go buy an empty box ! I'm sure honest - good standing SMB Forum members are HONEST ! Just sayin !

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:09 PM   #2

Garage
I just had someone send me a message and do exactly what you described. When I texted the number they said the same thing when I asked for pictures. Any chance you could PM me who it was who sent you the message/what number you texted?
aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #3

Report it to the mods please. If they are demanding Zelle, it’s a scam. Some on the Transit forum just posted being a victim of this exact scam word for word.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:14 PM   #4

Same type of thread over on Expedition Portal. Someone lost $800 by sending it Zelle and then never getting a response or a parcel. Rule number one, use Zelle only to transfer money with someone you trust, family member.. At least with Paypal they will go after the sender if you never receive the product. I guess this is the latest scam.
bob949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Report it to the mods please. If they are demanding Zelle, it’s a scam. Some on the Transit forum just posted being a victim of this exact scam word for word.
Yes, please let us know who the forum member is. You can message me if you like.

Herb
Old 02-25-2021, 02:24 PM   #6

Garage
Thought it felt sketchy when they wouldn't send a picture because the box was already taped. It stopped there and never actually got to the payment discussion for me.
aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:09 PM   #7

Garage
Happening on advrider as well. Person with WTB ad is contacted, told friend has one. Scam every time.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:15 PM   #8

Garage
Sad part is, any "forum member" exposed in this type of scam can easily just re-register under another alias. (I'd suspect their join date is/would be relatively recent)
I'm now forewarned since I've just read this Thread, I wonder if there is a way to send a global message to all members as a warning??? Or maybe a post on the home page bringing attention to the issue??? Always good to see everyone looking out for each other, so thank you for shedding light on this Doublevan2!
Old 02-25-2021, 03:40 PM   #9

As a hobby seller hearing this is frustrating. Scammers suck.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:46 PM   #10

I have had 3 or 4 of these messages in the past few months. If you post your looking for an item that usually gets the scammers on you unfortunately.
Tnew is offline   Reply With Quote