Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #21

Re: The Westy Crossroads - Sell for an SMB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixoncj
SCBrian - not sure if you know my buddy Jim Cardinale - owns the small engine shop in Georgetown, along with a Syncro tintop and a Westy. He's an old surf buddy.
I don't. Is it Georgetown Small Engine? I've seen one Westy (driving the opposite direction) and one EuroVan in Gtown. That's the extent of my VW sightings in Gtown.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBrian
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixoncj
SCBrian - not sure if you know my buddy Jim Cardinale - owns the small engine shop in Georgetown, along with a Syncro tintop and a Westy. He's an old surf buddy.
I don't. Is it Georgetown Small Engine? I've seen one Westy (driving the opposite direction) and one EuroVan in Gtown. That's the extent of my VW sightings in Gtown.
Yep - Georgetown small engine. Stop in and tell him hey. He has a lift too!
dixoncj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:33 PM   #23

I loved my bus, but I have never looked back.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:18 AM   #24

Hey guys
A little update.
Decided - for the time being at least - to keep the Westy. I just know it too damn well. It's too damn easy to drive and camp in, and it just works as a daily driver and adventure rig. One of these days when the kids get a little older, I'll turn to the idea of a Sprinter perhaps, but after camping in the UK in a Promaster/Ducato based rig in June (damn, the gas mileage on that thing was unbelievable), I just think the Westy serves our purposes - unless we wanna buy a whole separate camper - which we don't. We're not gonna be on the road for long stretches, we camp for short stints, which means it's not a big deal to stay at the site through our whole campout. And, it's paid for - and only appreciating in value.
Now for a lift kit, a stroker motor or a Subie and eventually, a Syncro drivetrain.
By the way, that above photo is killa.
dixoncj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #25

dixoncj: No hard feelings. Go ahead and snub us. We can take it.

Look here's the deal. The first Sportsmobile was a Volkswagon van. In fact, that original Sportsmobile was the genisis of Volkswagon's later camper van series. Since then we Sportsmobile-types have evolved down a different branch of the camper van tree. Come back home to us when you are ready. We will be here.

Better yet, don't leave. We have come to like your posts. And no doubt there is a Westy design approach to solving common camper van issues which we can adapt to our rigs. So when you come across a cool idea, please post it up over here with pictures so we can all benefit from a Westy cross-fertilization.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:34 PM   #26

[quote="tildadog"]

Does not look any bigger.....might have to measure to be sure.
Elltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:41 AM   #27

Garage

I have had a Lot of Westfalia's and have really enjoyed them. I still have one. I bought my first SMB a few months ago and now my Westy is up for sale. I am sure I will miss it, but the SMB does what I need it to. Not being worried about mechanics is also a nice relief.
So if you want a really nice Westy.... I have one for sale.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote