Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2019, 09:43 PM   #11

If you're going to spend 90k on a rig, it should be pretty much perfect for your needs. You could save 40k by buying one of the other vans you linked and spend a little to modify it to work for you. They're also at the bottom end of depreciation and will hold at that value for a long time so if/when you decide to sell, you wont take much of a hit financially.

For what it's worth, I really like the newer van you posted but mainly because of the seating arrangement and interior finishes.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:53 PM   #12

Have you seen this one in Atlanta? There is a long video. The seller is firm on price of $75K.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/r...815774689.html

This is what current owner said he did (video suggests paid 70K a few years back)
New tranny, Wheels, Tires, Exhaust , Sat tv, Stereo, 3 seats
Dbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmarm View Post
Is this one too good to be true???
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/r...817989595.html

2003 Ford E350 Sportsmobile EB 128k

No, it’s priced fairly.

I would urge you to slow down, really settle on exactly what you want before you throw nearly 100k at it.

Don’t hesitate to rent one.

Don’t be afraid to take it step by step!
You’ll only know what you really want after some time and use. Getting in to one like this Atlanta one might be a good start. SMB’s are not hard to sell.

And finally, I wouldn’t only look at SMB’s. They were the first off grid camper vans but are not the best or be-all-end-all. Many here who have owned them have moved to home builds or newer makes like Outside Van, Van Specialties, CCV (bigger, nicer tops) and many more. That said, the one that fits your needs best may in fact be an SMB.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #14

So I ended up going with the 2003 SMB that is the first link in my first post. Pick it up Friday. I'm super excited.
tnmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #15

Wow. Congrats! Looks like a great van. I corresponded with the owners this week. Sounds like it was well maintained by prior owners and current.
Dbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmarm View Post
So I ended up going with the 2003 SMB that is the first link in my first post. Pick it up Friday. I'm super excited.
That was may favorite - Good for you!
Make sure they run you through all the equipment/appliances - TAKE YOUR TIME GOING THROUGH IT - take notes, or better yet video as they provide instruction.
Ad stated it has a power top - take a look at the cross bars inside when its up - do they look bowed or bent? while top is up, get on a ladder and check out all the corners where the canvas meets the van roof (many people have developed rust problems in those areas)
I would get all fluids changed as soon as you take possession...we're here to help you spend money!
Old 03-18-2019, 07:39 AM   #17

Thanks! I'm super excited about it.

When you say all fluids, so you mean literally _all_?
- diffs
- trans
- oil
- transfer case

Also, we seriously considered this one:
https://boulder.craigslist.org/rvs/d...826623769.html
We like the "walkthrough" floor plan, but the seller didn't actually seem to know all that much about their van.
tnmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #18

Garage
I would do ALL fluids - its an expense, but preventive maintenance is underrated and this provides you a service benchmark.
With your list above might consider adding Coolant & Power Steering fluids.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I would do ALL fluids - its an expense, but preventive maintenance is underrated and this provides you a service benchmark.
With your list above might consider adding Coolant & Power Steering fluids.
And don't forget the brake fluid! Most people never change that in the entire life of a vehicle.......and this is bad. Very bad.

BUT......The cost of automotive fluids/oils/etc. has gotten crazy expensive to what we suggest might cost several hundred just for the fluids, so do your homework and find out what has been done. You likely don't need it all done.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote