Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 03:08 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Speaking of fans, it seems that the fan on the front of our motors can suck as much as 30HP! Electric fans seem to be the way to go, and if i can gain even 15hp, it might be a worth while investment, not to mention the ability to control it manually if wanted, (say when a big climb is coming up) possibly an increased total air flow, and lower transmission temps. Anyone done this?
Yep my van suffers a HP loss when the fan kicks in. Too bad they didn't measure air flow as well because I find all those finned coolers stacked in front of each other along with the Aluminess bumper to resist air flow and I'd have to see if electric fans are capable to provide additional air movement above and beyond what the stock fans provide. I didn't name my van but Hover came to mind when I drove it for the first time and the fan kicked in... crap same noise that came out of my 3 axle bucket truck I drove at work. Very annoying but if it keeps the gauges out of the red I'll just crank up the stereo.
IIRC somebody here added a remote switch to kick the stock fan on and off on demand but installed it for heat control.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #22

I bulit in a selfe made torque connverter switch in mine. Since than consumption is lower and the tranny temps are always under 165 on the road. I use the switch lets say 90% of the time i drive on road. Off road depends on the where i go. Mostly i do not use it. Only in deep sand it helps a lot and is a huge different.
At least for keeping the temps down it is perfect!

Dani und Didi in Afrika -
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:46 PM   #23

Oh, I do have two small electric fans on the transmission cooler. They help at low speeds, and when sitting and cooling down. They don't do anything at speed.

The torque connverter lockup override seems like it would help a lot on long grades, especially if you're towing and have to drop into second.

Conversely, I've taken my transmission from dead cold to 190 degrees in a couple of minutes when I left it in second by mistake, and drove stop sign to stop sign on some of SF's steeper hills.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #24

I recall reading in the forrum about a switch bypass for the fan, can't seem to find it. Perhaps something worth having for long grades, I normally go heavy on the pedal to keep the rev over 2k and carry the momentum up but can see ~ 220 on long continuous climbs. Perhaps manually turning the fan on migth help lower them a bit.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:43 PM   #25

The fan clutch on the 6.0 can be electrically engaged. You just need to tie a lead to either hot or ground to engage it.

The clutches on the 7.3 and v10 are purely thermal and don't offer such an option. They are also vastly cheaper.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote