Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2022, 02:13 PM   #1

Upcoming sale

Spent a sad few days cleaning out our 2014 E350 Sportsmobile to get it ready to sell. Due to poor health, we just can't get out anymore. Hope things turn around and we get to buy a new van later!

But, general questions:
1. How do you vet a buyer to be sure they are serious?
2. Is an official bank check safe enough to transfer title?
3. Is listing on this forum sufficient, or should I also do Craig's List or some other listing?
4. Of course - the main question - how to set a price ? I am thinking of posting here and asking for feedback on price like some other forum users have done.

Thanks for any insights prior sellers (or buyers) might offer.

Nancy

yonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 02:20 PM   #2

Can only respond to 2.:
No, a regular check isn‘t safe! They can just grab the van and block the check.

What I used in the past when buying was a direct wire within the same bank, cashiers check and cash.

Not sure how sage paypal would be in that case.
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:44 PM   #3

Sorry about the sad times. I guess there's no getting though a lifetime without some.

A cashiers check is OK - but call the issuing bank to confirm it's legitimate prior to completing the sale and signing over the title.

I've purchased several really great cars, plus our van, by answering Craigslist ads. But you will probably be swamped by all sorts of folks - some legitimate and others not, so you might want to make a plan first for how you will deal with that.

Yes I think the experienced people here can help with the price.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:57 PM   #4

Garage
There are a lot of people that troll this Forum in hopes of finding just what they are looking for, seems most are already familiar with Sportsmobile which suggests they understand what they are looking at (and the value of).
I would post here initially for feedback & assessment (include lots of pictures), just keep in mind the dark Financial cloud which currently hovers over us all will likely impact interest. But, you only need one buyer!
You may start by reviewing some of the Vans that have been listed to get an idea for outlining all the upgrades & amenities - it's to your advantage to be as thorough as possible. You'll also limit the barrage of question you'd otherwise have to contend with.
I would also list your asking price, this will help weed out most of those that are not in your price range.
It stands to reason, the more Ad's you have promoting your sale, the larger audience. Again a "BUT"; I would start with this Forum, RV Trader, maybe consider the Sportsmobile home site, and Craig's List...more exposure also means more inquiries though.
GLWS
Old 06-14-2022, 08:21 PM   #5

Lots of scammers out there (ESPECIALLY on craigslist!), counterfeit bank checks, official looking "cashier's checks', money orders, etc., can all be easily created at home w/ a decent printer.

I've sold several high ticket items in the past few years (vehicles, inherited jewelry, etc.) and I will only take cash, or I will physically accompany the buyer to THEIR bank and have the bank teller issue me a cashier's check directly. If a buyer shows up with a cashier's check in hand I won't accept it.

I also won't allow anyone to "test drive" a car I am selling without first showing me a driver's license (which I take a picture of) AND proof of insurance. Of course I don't allow them to test drive the car w/out me, I accompany them on the drive.

Along with this forum and perhaps RVtrader, I'd post it for sale on facebook marketplace.

If you have difficulty selling it, consider consigning it to a legit RV dealer for them to market & sell. Presumably you won't make as much as if you sold it yourself, but on a positive note, you won't have to deal with all the "looky loos" and tire kickers.
Doug-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:44 PM   #6

Personally I'd have Field Vans (Sportsmobile West) list it on their website, they seem to sell quickly and for much higher prices.. That will cut out some of the BS and share the website ad on here, FB, ect... I only take cash or really prefer bank wire transfer, wire is the safest and quickest.. You can look at all of the sold vans on Field Vans website also to help value yours..
bigdawg1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:59 PM   #7

Thanks for all the great ideas. Starting a new thread offering the van for sale with details and pictures.

-Nancy
yonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:12 PM   #8

I would NEVER transfer or release title of ownership until actual cash money was in my hand or bank account. I would also never accept paypal for any large sum of money, simply to much risk involved with online payment services.

I would tell them you are not a bank and if they wish to use a check, cashier check or otherwise, you will not release the title until the check has cleared the bank and the actual money is in your hands. Scammers can make fraudulent checks of any type. WIth paypal all the buyer has to do is start a dispute an dthe funds are immediately frozen. Even if the funds are in your bank already, paypals terms of service allow them to access your personal bank account and pull those funds back out, read the fine print.
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:08 AM   #9

I think the maximum PayPal transfer is $5,000 per day or something.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:27 AM   #10

Garage
When selling my van I received one truly worthless inquiry from this forum, many tire kickers from FB Marketplace, (one with real potential) and a sale with an ad on RV Trader.
The buyer sent a rep who test drove the van and paid at a local branch of Wells Fargo via cash and cashiers check. I deposited the check via Mobile Deposit on my phone. It went right through.