Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #1

Van Pop Tops ?

Greetings All -- has anyone rated or reported on the pros and cons of which pop top gets the thumbs up regarding holding up in high winds and rain ? Seems like the CCV hi-top might be subjected to possible damage in high winds ? Can the CCV top be raised "partially" - or is it required to be raised all the way for maximum stability ?

Appreciate your feedback --

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #2

Please spend a few minutes with the search on the forum, as there are a ton of threads and comments on pros and cons of both tops.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Think this has all been hashed out....but the CCV top is MUCH more stable in everything from light breezes to sustained or gusty winds compared to the SMB pop top. It would not do you any good to partially raise CCV’s top to get a bit lower wind sheer, although I suppose you could, but it would leave a bunch of slack in the canvas fabric to flap in the wind and the fact that the lift mechanism would not be in its full extended position to provide full top shear strength.
We’ve had both, and we used to have to lower the SMB top on more than several occasions due to winds and the pop top getting blown around, making a racket and with the constant worry of it getting damaged by bending the arms, not so with our current CCV top, solid.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:19 PM   #4

Van Pop Tops ?

One question I’ve never seen asked or answered: will CCV do a top that isn’t quite so high? I know they have different profile shells (mid/high) but I’m taking about the actual canvas height. I personally don’t like the look of that huge expanse of vertical canvas and don’t need the ton of interior height. As long as I can sit up in bed I’m good with it. I’m not looking for you all to tell me why the height is the best. I’ve seen one in person and just don’t like it.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
One question I’ve never seen asked or answered: will CCV do a top that isn’t quite so high? I know they have different profile shells (mid/high) but I’m taking about the actual canvas height.
I know what you mean about the look of the expanse of canvas, Brian, and I can't answer your question. But having had both SMB and CCV tops I can tell you I love the extra headroom in the penthouse with the CCV. Plus, the bed is much wider as well.
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:18 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
. As long as I can sit up in bed I’m good with it.
When I tried out the penthouse at SMB West, I couldn’t sit up in the bed. That surprised me. Thus, the CCV.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:42 AM   #7
KDB

I asked CCV that same question when having my install done and the answer was no at that time. THey would require different sized actuators i believe. There may be some additional reasons as well.
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
I asked CCV that same question when having my install done and the answer was no at that time. THey would require different sized actuators i believe. There may be some additional reasons as well.

Yeah, that's what I guessed. Or that their lifting mechanism poles would need to be re-engineered or something. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:01 PM   #9

The ability to sit up is why the height to the inside surface of the top is what it is. I am 5' 11" . Sitting fully upright I have about two to three inches above my head.

Of note is the difference in canvas height between the medium top and the high top. The interior height when either top is fully up is exactly the same ~ 8ft. What is different is the amount of fiberglass on the sides of the top. The canvas section of a high top is about 4 or 5 inches shorter since more of the side is fiberglass. The windows sizes are the same between the two tops, it is amount of canvas above and below the windows that is less on the high top.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:40 PM   #10

Garage
We love our SMB Penthouse with the electric lift. We've had it for four seasons now and not had a single problem.
bidgoodr is offline   Reply With Quote