Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #1

WANTED: 3-WAY PROPANE FRIDGE

Looking for a 3 way propane fridge in the 1.7-1.9CF size range, built in model. Let me know if you have something.

Thanks
Steve

frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:18 AM   #2

Re: WANTED: 3-WAY PROPANE FRIDGE

Try some RV salvage sites.

Do you really want to cut up your exterior walls though? The newer DC models are super efficient.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:17 AM   #3

I'm with 86scotty.

I just installed a Truckfridge dc-only front-opening fridge into my van:

The form factor just worked better for me than a chest-style fridge. It uses the same Danfoss compressor, and gets cold enough to make ice cubes in the freezer section. Very efficient, and MUCH easier to install since you only have a small amount of cabinet venting to worry about - you don't have to open it up to the outside like you do with a heat-engine evaporative fridge.
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #4

Garage

+3 for the AC/DC (or DC only) fridges.....
I've got a 4-year old Norcold 3-way fridge in my SMB (installed by the PO) and I can't wait to get rid of it. Sure, it's quiet (silent, in fact)....

....but if you're into all the other things that a good fridge should do (like maintain temperature well, or actually operate AT ALL on DC current, which is too feeble to keep this thing going....), or operate worth a darn when it's hot outside.......then I would stay away from these things. Maybe I've got a bum unit, but most people I've talked to aren't huge fans of these 3-way units vs. the new breed of high-efficiency AC/DC or DC-only units.

(**** On top of that.....having a constantly-lit flame inside the fridge to operate it is just one more potential hazard to worry about....and OH, you have to *always* park the van perfectly level, or the refrigerator stops working......****)

Those TruckFridge units look great!!!!
Been reading some threads where people complain about the fan noise....Herbie and 86Scotty, how have you guys liked yours?

I'm ready to pull this 3-way unit out and swap one of those TruckFridges in at some point soon.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #5

MountainBikeRoamer, I like the fridge a ton. I will probably have to owe you a long-term report, as I've only recently installed it, but so far I'm very happy. I was initially a bit nervous about the switch, but research revealed that the VW Westfalia guys have been swapping these in favor of the old Dometic 3-way fridges for years and having really good luck. (The TF49 is basically a direct replacement into the Westy Vanagon cabinet, but holds more food, the TF63 can be made to fit with a bit of rework.)

As I said above, the form factor was the major issue for me: my van is smaller than most here (I'm a DIY non-sportsmobile interloper with a 4x4 Pop-top GTRV Astro), so finding room for a chest-style fridge was doable but inefficient. Switching to a front-open fridge let me recapture a bunch of lost space that's made a big difference.

As far as performance, it's worked really well so far. As said, I can make ice cubes in the freezer section, although I'm still using a digital probe thermometer to try to dial in the most efficient setting where I can get the temperature I need without having the compressor run more than necessary.

The noise isn't bad, certainly no louder than my previous Edgestar FP430 chest fridge. I vented my cabinet forward to the driver's seat, so I actually hear it less (vs the chest fridge) when you're in the lower bunk. (When driving it's insignificant compared to road noise, etc.) The fan is about as loud as the compressor, so I will probably do what others have done and swap out to a higher-quality (computer) fan that moves similar air with less noise, and also adjust how it mounts. Factory solution is to zip-tie the fan to the heat exchanger - I will replace with PC-style rubber mounts to isolate it a bit more.
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:36 PM   #6

What? What?

The noise on mine isn't bad at all to me. If only my furnace were as quiet.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #7

I've got a 0051 Norcold. I replaced it with a Engel as I work with them on my boat manufacture. I like them better. But I'll let this two way go cheap!! I'm in Texas.