Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #1

Wanted SMB $70,000 Maximum/Purchased a 2009 SMB

Hey all,

I recently had a budget of $50k for a SMB and had little luck. I made an offer on a nice 2005 SMB 6.0 and it turned out to have serious engine issues!

I have cashed out a retirement fund to further my quest to purchase a great quality SMB and can max at $70,000 but it has to be close to perfect. If anyone has a quality SMB that they would be willing to part with please let me know. My family consists of my wife, our 2 year old daughter and myself. We would like to have a fully self contained "off grid" van to take us trouble free to Baja, Alaska, etc.....
We would prefer to have an extended hard top for winter travel and storage, but we will be willing to look at SMB pop tops. If the van is a 6.0 it needs to have Bullet Proofing upgrades otherwise we are not interested as they WILL break!

We would also consider a van with diesel power up to 2008, 2 WD at a good price so we can convert and do the SMB conversion/upgrades.

Thanks for your time and if you know of anything that fits our wants/needs, please let us know.

Cheers
Jeff, Jules and Ella

jeffscharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #2

Re: Wanted SMB $70,000 Maximum Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffscharbor
If the van is a 6.0 it needs to have Bullet Proofing upgrades otherwise we are not interested as they WILL break!
Maybe you should buy a V10?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:58 PM   #3

I'll keep my eyes peeled and post here if I see anything Jeff.
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:02 AM   #4

Hello
I might have a van that fits your needs. If you go to sportsmobile.com and go to the gallery tab find the mobile disabled link and chose ford/chevy. At the bottom of the page is my van. Its was known as the w.a.v.e.. The van was built in collaboration with Sportmobile and a slew of vendors as a demo vehicle for the 2009 SEMA show in Las Vegas. It was also featured on the front cover of Four Wheeler magazine in 2010. It has most of the options ever offered by Sportsmobile and the some.It has the proto type rock sliders from Rock Slide Engineering. The van has 48k miles on the chassis and 4k miles on the new motor and transmission. The van has an Arizona salvage title due to mechanical damage. The van has never been wrecked but the engine hydrolocked on an attempted river crossing. Only the front of the van was in the water everything else was fine.There is even a youtube video of the recovery. If you search mobile disabled explorers on you tube you will find lots of videos from the previous owner Lance.
The van was equipted with a wheel chair lift that has since been removed as has the adaptive hand controls. Everything works great and I have used it for the last 3 years as my tow rig/rv.You can reach me at 408-497-3479 if you have any further questions.
Thanks, Jeff
Toyconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #5

Have you looked at this? He's getting pretty motivated to sell it. Take it to Ujoint (close to him) or another 4wd converter and you'd have quite a van for living/long distance travel for well under your budget. I've driven it and it's phenomenal but not in my budget right now. It belongs to a good friend and I can stand by both the van and the seller.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... ortsmobile

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #6

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

With a 2 yr old they are going to need a forward facing seat closer to the front seats I would think.

Otherwise that would be a nice fixed top van to convert.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
With a 2 yr old they are going to need a forward facing seat closer to the front seats I would think.

Otherwise that would be a nice fixed top van to convert.
Only if state law requires it, my brother side faced his kids since 1 year and the only issue was crippling motion sickness. As far as being closer reaching back and futzing with the kids, dropped bottles, etc. Is a real hazard, I'd rather have them back where I'm not tempted. Rear facing on a bench is its whole own set of issues, just because (at least with twins on the 50 bench) you lose the side loading a side door gives you.

I'm not saying I wouldn't rather have 4 up captains chairs, but a bench can be workable.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #8

Thanks to all for all the help in finding my Sportsmobile. I purchased a 2009 SMB, 6.0 bullet proofed diesel 4x4. The van is scheduled for an interior remodel at Van Specialties in Portland at the end of the summer. I'll post pictures of the before and after.

Cheers
Jeff
jeffscharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #9

Garage

Quote:
Thanks to all for all the help in finding my Sportsmobile. I purchased a 2009 SMB, 6.0 bullet proofed diesel 4x4. The van is scheduled for an interior remodel at Van Specialties in Portland at the end of the summer. I'll post pictures of the before and after.

Cheers
Jeff
G'day Jeff,
Was that the black bulletproof one? Send us some pics soon, Well Done!
Cheers, Doug
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:49 PM   #10

Quote:

Cheers
Jeff
Please post a link to pics here so we can follow. I'm local to Van Specialties and would like them do my interior buildout. The OutsideVan ones I believe they still do look incredible!
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote