Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Last I saw Quigley won’t convert used E-vans anymore, and only will do Transits that meet tight age and low mileage restrictions.
I'm looking into a new (2021) E450 converted with 4x4 super singles so I spoke with Quigley last week and they are converting new E vans to 4x4. Limits are they won't add lockers nor do super singles in rear.

As for the Sprinter, I have a 2016 4x4 with low range, and it is very capable off road. Capable of driving some stout trails. Length is more a detriment than the four wheel drive system as wheelbase does add some challenges, and rear overhang sometimes rubs on steep ditches. Where there is not much wheel articulation, the traction control keeps it moving pretty seamlessly on 2 or 3 wheels. I've done a modest suspension improvement, one size larger BFGs and front sway disconnect, as well as skid plates and other things. The Sprinter's limits are front clearance under axle, wheel articulation, and overhang and wheelbase (mine is a 170"), but stock form will handle rougher trails easily. An E van will allow more rock crawling/technical terrain movement with less vehicle abuse, so just consider what you actually intend to travel before narrowing options.

Owned a 2007 Sprinter poptop and now For Sale 2016 170" 4x4 overlander with durable cabinets, hot water with collapsible shower, sink, toilet, air compressors, electrically raising queen bed, four+ bike garage, rotating two person passenger bench, suspension, rack, skid plates, lights & more. Build out videos at www.vantripping.com and https://www.youtube.com/@vantripping
kcshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:53 PM   #12

If 4x4 capability and serious robust action is your interest within an e350 then Ujoint is a top choice. Seriously strong engineering, personalized service and experience.
Stenov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:00 PM   #13

Ujoint for serious 4x4 robust system
Stenov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #14

If I didn’t have three Econolines and an Astro already in my driveway, I would start with an Express or Savana. And then I would call Jeremy at WeldTec.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #15

Not to hijack this thread but maybe build on it, since all of the recommendations for Ujoint, doesn't Chris only do leaf sprung front ends and isn't that really harsh on washboard/rough roads and increases steering angle/turning diameter, which both are critical to use and performance. Doesn't a coil spring front end provide a far more manageable and enjoyable ride on rough roughs/offroad and provide for a shorter turning diameter?
Owned a 2007 Sprinter poptop and now For Sale 2016 170" 4x4 overlander with durable cabinets, hot water with collapsible shower, sink, toilet, air compressors, electrically raising queen bed, four+ bike garage, rotating two person passenger bench, suspension, rack, skid plates, lights & more. Build out videos at www.vantripping.com and https://www.youtube.com/@vantripping
Old 10-22-2020, 08:51 PM   #16

Oh man KC, now you’ve opened Pandora’s box...
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:53 PM   #17
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Nobody’s mentioned Quadvan out of Portland....
But I’ll add, before we can really get into another “what’s best” thread, is that you’ve got to narrow down your choice of platform between the Econoline, Transit, Sprinter, Chevy, otherwise too many configurations.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
Oh man KC, now you’ve opened Pandora’s box...
Well, not trying to spread any blame (MTDave first brought up the Transit and Sprinter) and it's a worthy discussion to start with actual needs and therefore which vehicle works best for the vast majority of travel or the extreme's of actual use, as well as an objective comparison. By no means am I trying to say that one choice is better, that all depends upon the comparison for the use case. I always appreciate other's POV from their experiences.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:47 PM   #19

Noticing the OP has only participated with their o.p......seems like this has become a group exercise at this point. Maybe somebody can play the roll of the OP in order to further the discussion?
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #20

Sure, I'll play. I need to know about gas vs. diesel too. Which is best?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote