Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2020, 07:02 PM   #21
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Doh......[emoji2359]

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Sure, I'll play. I need to know about gas vs. diesel too. Which is best?
REALLY????? Are you trying to start something?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Breakdown of the best from years of learning:

- 7.3 Diesel with no intercooler = stock Quigley
Allows you to hit the EGT limits, overheat the tranny and hit the bump stops all at the same time.

- 6.0 Diesel = SMB Leaf conversion with Altas transfer case
Allows you to limp home in front wheel drive to make it more fun when a turbo, FCIM, EGR, oil cooler or Head Studs go bad.

- V10 Gas = MG Metal Works F350 coil conversion
Allows you to enjoy the beautiful smooth and quiet V10 power, reliability and combine a nice ride for a lifetime of pleasure.

- 5.4 Gas = UJOINT conversion with lockers
Reliability, lightweight and rock crawling ability.

- 4.6 Gas = Weldtec Baja lift
Prius pre-runner.

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:28 AM   #24

You’re treading into uncharted waters with that question. I’ll have to give it some thought and maybe even start a new thread as I suspect there may be a number of folks who will want to chime in.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:33 PM   #25

I've thought about it quite a bit, and like many of us, assumed diesel was "better" for the higher fuel economy and safety of it, but once I did the math it takes about 150,000 miles to pay for the higher cost of the engine, DEF and maintenance than a gasoline engine with just the fuel economy saved, and since that is many, many years away, longer than any good Finacial investment, and likely even longer than I would own the vehicle, the decision is simply a financial decision that diesel does not make for a good use of capital. That upfront cost savings of a gasoline engine pays for a lot of travel. Add in that I would like to travel thru Central and South America with limited low sulphur diesel availability, and the choice is easy.
Owned a 2007 Sprinter poptop and now For Sale 2016 170" 4x4 overlander with durable cabinets, hot water with collapsible shower, sink, toilet, air compressors, electrically raising queen bed, four+ bike garage, rotating two person passenger bench, suspension, rack, skid plates, lights & more. Build out videos at www.vantripping.com and https://www.youtube.com/@vantripping
kcshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #26

Thanks for the well thought out and frankly pretty accurate response. We were mostly being sarcastic since that topic has been beaten to no end and the OP hasn't checked in again, at least it appears, since the original posting asking for advice.

By the way, I do think you're right in your assessment.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:18 PM   #27

Thanks, thought that might of been sarcasm but hard to tell. My assessment will undoubtably be different than every one's. Mine math is based upon methodically tracking every single penny spent by several cost categories (DEF, Tires, Oil Changes, Other Fluid Changes, Fuel, Regular Maintenance, Other Maintenance, Upgrades, Insurance) and miles for every single tank of fuel (and addition of DEF) of over 30 vehicles owned over the last 30 years. (I am obsessive in my tracking to the penny and fraction of mile per tank for over 30 years.) My experiences will be different than any one else's. To each their own assessment for what they value in importance or know or want.
Owned a 2007 Sprinter poptop and now For Sale 2016 170" 4x4 overlander with durable cabinets, hot water with collapsible shower, sink, toilet, air compressors, electrically raising queen bed, four+ bike garage, rotating two person passenger bench, suspension, rack, skid plates, lights & more. Build out videos at www.vantripping.com and https://www.youtube.com/@vantripping
kcshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcshoots View Post
Thanks, thought that might of been sarcasm but hard to tell... My experiences will be different than any one else's. To each their own assessment for what they value in importance or know or want.
To your point, we all have different priorities that motivate us, but share one common denominator...we all want what's best for us!
I commend you for being so diligent in your approach.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:07 PM   #29

Quote:
I was, as usual, being sarcastic. No need to turn this in to a real gas vs. diesel debate. Older members will probably know that those are not allowed anyway.

Back to the topic at hand.....my apologies for the confusion.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:38 PM   #30

Garage
^^^ forum problem child pokin beehives again.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote