Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2020, 04:40 PM   #11

I just finished a 2WD conversion to 4x4, with a DIY kit from Timberline. I had my local truck shop install it, seems to be working out well. It was also part of a motor swap so haven't had a chance to drive it much yet, but perhaps that can help you with the time line. The cost was about the same as having it done by them.

Jeff94598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
The best answer would be to sell my current rig, and buy from Sportsmobile a 4x4 with penthouse, but I'm not willing to wait until November 2021 to take delivery.

At the risk of stating the obvious....

The last Econoline (E-Series) van converted and sold new by Sportsmobile was in 2014. They do have a fiberglass rear section for an E-series cutaway; not sure if they have sold any of those.

Everything they are converting and selling these days are Sprinters/Transits. Which are a different van as far as 4WD goes.......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #13

If you're looking at buying a 4x4 van, list the specs you want, your budget, and willingness to travel. If your budget is adequate for today's prices, I'm sure someone from the forum will find a van for you.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
At the risk of stating the obvious....

The last Econoline (E-Series) van converted and sold new by Sportsmobile was in 2014. They do have a fiberglass rear section for an E-series cutaway; not sure if they have sold any of those.

Everything they are converting and selling these days are Sprinters/Transits. Which are a different van as far as 4WD goes.......
So I was speaking loosely but I assumed if I waited for sportsmobile I'd get them to just put a penthouse a-la-carte on a e350 I'd bring. PS I had an 03 Element in the stable, and have a pair of xt225's, so I'm a sucker for things they don't make anymore.
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #15

Better check with some experts on the conversion to 4x4 - guessing (?) most would be reticent or refuse if front GAWR weight of a 150 series van is below what would be required for weight of transfer case, etc. ? Guessing a 250 series van would be minimum GAWR someone would be willing to work with ? But I'm not an expert - but I've tried this road before --

Good luck !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
Better check with some experts on the conversion to 4x4 - guessing (?) most would be reticent or refuse if front GAWR weight of a 150 series van is below what would be required for weight of transfer case, etc. ? Guessing a 250 series van would be minimum GAWR someone would be willing to work with ? But I'm not an expert - but I've tried this road before --

Good luck !
Thanks -- you're right. now I'm researching all the options, given that E350's are tough to find.

@mikracer, good suggestion. I will revert / update this post when I've better honed-in on the specs and budget.

Appreciate all the support and comments guys. Thx.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
So I was speaking loosely but I assumed if I waited for sportsmobile I'd get them to just put a penthouse a-la-carte on a e350 I'd bring. PS I had an 03 Element in the stable, and have a pair of xt225's, so I'm a sucker for things they don't make anymore.

..Not sure Sportsmobile would put a top on your van..have you talked to them?

For very similar $$ as a manual SMB top Derek at Colorado Camper Van installs a nicer pop top..wider bed, power, you can sit up on the bed in the penthouse etc. I think he's still doing older Econolines.
2003 Honda Element
Old 12-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
..Not sure Sportsmobile would put a top on your van..have you talked to them?

For very similar $$ as a manual SMB top Derek at Colorado Camper Van installs a nicer pop top..wider bed, power, you can sit up on the bed in the penthouse etc. I think he's still doing older Econolines.
Thanks. I tried calling CCV / website earlier this week with no joy, but will try again when it's not ~Christmas eve. Thanks for the reminder.

Do you have experience with them (long-shot I know). Just always nice to get a fresh datapoint given potentially outdated / non-representative stuff on the internet.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:28 PM   #19

Many folks here have removed their SMB penthouse tops and replaced them with a CCV top. That's where the majority of used SMB pop tops for sale on this forum have come from recently.

Specifically...CCV is removing the SMB tops to install their tops.

I have a SMB top and no direct experience with CCV.

Members REF, 1der and many others here have CCV tops.
2003 Honda Element
Old 12-23-2020, 09:31 PM   #20

Awesome-- will do some searching on those-- thanks boywonder. Trying to wear off my noob status on here.