Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2020, 11:15 PM   #21
A2Z

Also, there are 2 length penthouse tops. The one mentioned earlier that is for sale in San Diego is for an extended van.

A2Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #22

Not sure if a Chevy AWD van will fit your needs, but I feel like this one is priced reasonably. It has the CCV top and a bit of a buildout, but also includes all of the original seats. You can see how big the top is compared to the Sportsmobile tops.

You can convert these vans from AWD to 4x4 by adding a transfer case to achieve Hi/Low gearing. I don't know the specifics but lots of people have done it.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20201224-084729_Facebook.jpg   Screenshot_20201224-084737_Facebook.jpg   Screenshot_20201224-084743_Facebook.jpg  
Old 12-27-2020, 10:05 PM   #23

Mikracer you are true gentleman and a scholar for finding that listing, which is 90% of what I'm looking for. Unfortunately after ogle-ing a long while, I discovered the AWD was only offered on the 1500 (I think), so that plus the 5.3L probably rule this one out, despite the savings I'd get. May have to start making compromises.
1. pop top
2. seats 6+
3. 350 / 3500
4. towing capacity of ~6000 (pref with room to spare) when fully loaded (have ruled out transit, and narrowed to the v10 or 6.0L gas, or a larger diesel)

This thread has been helpful-- thanks to all again. Still looking / pricing a build. Hoping to stay around $50k+/-.
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #24

I didn't realize you needed to tow. If thats the case, then converting your current van is out of the picture. If you'll be towing a lot, I would suggest the V10. Thats what I have and it tows my small toy hauler really well (~7000lbs).
Old 12-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #25

Would you have considered the extended 350 v10? I'm looking at one now (as well as RB), but looks like too much past the back wheels for me to feel great about towing (I'd be towing a 30 ft travel trailer or a hitch mount dirt bike).
Old 12-28-2020, 02:53 PM   #26

Not sure if you might be interested but I have a similar van to what you are looking, the only difference is that it has a high top vs a pop top. The high top is relatively easy to remove and shouldn't be an issue to transfer to your current van, however I've never installed a pop top before.

My only concern/question mark would be is how much of the original roof material you need on the sides of the van length wise you need to install a pop top.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...les-27511.html
Old 12-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
Would you have considered the extended 350 v10? I'm looking at one now (as well as RB), but looks like too much past the back wheels for me to feel great about towing (I'd be towing a 30 ft travel trailer or a hitch mount dirt bike).
I always wanted a black extended passenger van. I found one that was built exactly the way I would have built one and almost bought it, but my wife is super attached to my green van. Don't get me wrong, I love my current van as well, it just would have been nice to save thousands by finding a van that was literally built exactly how I would have.

With towing, I don't think overall length will be too big of an issue. My issue is turning radius. We camp almost exclusively at campgrounds, some of which are either really tight to one another or are situated perpendicular to the drive way. Its those spots that make it really difficult to park (for me). I dont have any experience towing with the extended body but it would have been my tow rig had I bought the van I was talking about.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #28

Thanks Mikracer. I hear you on the turning radius. Turning radius is a weird feature-- it's one of those things that I'm super grateful for at crucial moments (i.e. U turn at intersection in my Tahoe or old Element), but rarely think about in purchasing.

Given the lack of pop-tops, looks like I may have to build something.

Still searching.
1. pop top
2. seats 6+
3. 350 / 3500
4. towing capacity of ~6000 when fully loaded
5. Shore power A/C (added)
My guess is something with all the above would be $50k-$75k depending on miles and condition.

I guess I'm back to sourcing an extremely clean E350 v10 or 6.0 Chevy, preferably in TX, and starting to build.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
I always wanted a black extended passenger van..
Thanks Mikracer and other helpful folks. Mission-accomplished (well, baby steps). I found a '13 EB v10 and getting it converted now. Looking forward to towing the crap out of stuff. It's black, so I'll come find you when the kids are too cool to do this anymore.

Meanwhile working on some exotic seating configurations...
Old 07-07-2021, 09:54 AM   #30

Update. Whew, what a journey. I've got the van back from CCV, so I think I can say I'm finished with the build. I was wrong about the price, including the van, 4x4 conversion, shore power A/C (and gasoline-powered heater), and CCV top and rack, it's been well over the estimate I posted earlier. But I've got something I like, and it was cool homebrewing it with our own ideas.

The one regret is probably going to be the sienna recliner. While awesome, and the wife loves it, a 3 person bench is more versatile. Plus my going with zero cabinets means the under seat storage of the bench will be appreciated. I kept the bench and will likely be putting it in the first position in a month or two. Let me know if you happen to know that the first-row bench would fit in the second position (if it's the same).

Thanks again for all the help / advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
I always wanted a black extended passenger van. I found one that was built exactly the way I would have built one and almost bought it, but my wife is super attached to my green van. Don't get me wrong, I love my current van as well, it just would have been nice to save thousands by finding a van that was literally built exactly how I would have.

With towing, I don't think overall length will be too big of an issue. My issue is turning radius. We camp almost exclusively at campgrounds, some of which are either really tight to one another or are situated perpendicular to the drive way. Its those spots that make it really difficult to park (for me). I dont have any experience towing with the extended body but it would have been my tow rig had I bought the van I was talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
CropperCapture[582].jpg