Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #11

I had the same thought about the X4, thanks for confirming. That's a good idea about calling. I'll do that. Towing for me is flat towing the Jeep, which the stock tune does just fine with. I'll talk to him and describe my setup, see what he says. Thanks for the feedback.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
I had the same thought about the X4, thanks for confirming. That's a good idea about calling. I'll do that. Towing for me is flat towing the Jeep, which the stock tune does just fine with. I'll talk to him and describe my setup, see what he says. Thanks for the feedback.
Sure thing Tim. Right on with the stock tune for towing. I found that the towing tune (actually 2 times on 2 different vehicles) was way too extreme. Shift points were far too extreme for my tastes, just made the truck too weird to get used to. The performance tune wakes everything up and makes it just right IMO.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Only once or twice have I ever changed the tune and that was for towing, which I consequentially hated on every vehicle I tried it on. For me, just my opinion, you just need the performance tune for your van
So, perf tune only, even when towing?

(I'm considering getting one, for all the track use I put my van through, right after I go through smog this year.)

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #14

Yes, but you get 3 tunes with a 5-Star tuner anyway. Most people seem to choose economy (completely worthless in my experience), towing (too weird for me as noted above) and performance (one and done IMO).
Old 02-22-2019, 01:38 PM   #15

I have the 87 Performance on my V10 right now and it's awesome. Gave me back the jump when I got the conversion and bigger tires. I stuck with 3.73 gears and 33" tires. Probably should have gone to 4.10 but I like the low RPM's cuising at 75-80mph

Cruise Control works better
Faster off the line
Got me about 1 mpg better

I am told that the 92 Performance might get me some MPG's again and a bit more power. Have not tried it but I have that tune.

Best cheap mod you could do for your 6.8l or 5.4l
Old 02-22-2019, 03:20 PM   #16

If the 5 start tuner is anything like others, you are able to "divorce" the tuner from the vehicle by reverting back to the stock tune. At that time, the tuner can be "married" to another vehicle. Most generic handheld tuners are able to tune a range of years/motors for a specific make/model. I imagine the 5 star tuner is similar as well.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
If the 5 start tuner is anything like others, you are able to "divorce" the tuner from the vehicle by reverting back to the stock tune. At that time, the tuner can be "married" to another vehicle. Most generic handheld tuners are able to tune a range of years/motors for a specific make/model. I imagine the 5 star tuner is similar as well.

5 star used to do that. Last time I tried they didn’t want to do that anymore. I think it was an SCT rule, not theirs.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
5 star used to do that. Last time I tried they didn’t want to do that anymore. I think it was an SCT rule, not theirs.
Dang!.....
Old 02-28-2019, 04:41 PM   #19

When I was looking to get my X4 I had the same issue with 5 star not wanting to ship to CA. I ended up buying a new unit on eBay and then getting the email tunes from 5 star which was super easy.

If you buy a used one I believe SCT can divorce the unit, but charge about $100. With that in mind you’re better off just buying a new tuner.