Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2021, 03:00 PM   #1

WTB: Econoline swivel-able seat, non-vinyl

After trying a stock non-powered vinyl driver's seat (it was a new take-out, probably from a ~'14 cargo van or from a newer cut-away), I've found that 1) yes they work with 1der's swivel, but 2) they're quite a bit less comfortable than the stock powered seat. (I've tried both an '06 E150 and a '14 E350 XLT powered seats).

Is there a different variety of driver's seat for the econoline besides the attached vinyl one , that still swivels?

(I guess I should assume the cloth one would be similar from a support standpoint-- that's what I'm talking about, not the feel of the vinyl itself. It just feels way less bolstered than a modern seat, while not feeling flat in a good way like my powered version did.).
Attached Thumbnails
Seat.jpg  

scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:44 PM   #2

Scuba - we have the cloth seats which came in our '02 and our '03 was the same, XLT trim level. At 170 lbs and 5'11 I have found them to be very comfortable with a mesh lumbar support for more than 8 hr driving stints.

I feel there are options with these OEM seats to get new cloth/leather seat covers, add lumbar bladders, heating pads, even new foam and add firmer bolsters as desired. search for Econoline seat replacement foam / covers.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:41 PM   #3

Thanks Ray. Were your cloth seats powered / ie do they work with your awesome swivels?
Old 04-14-2021, 10:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
Thanks Ray. Were your cloth seats powered / ie do they work with your awesome swivels?
Seats were non-power. The swivel seat bases will not work with power seats because the power actuator mechanism/motors, etc. occupy all the space under the seat.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:25 PM   #5

Scuba, it's possible that your powered one was not an OEM seat, even if it looked similar. There are a million van upfitters and conversion companies who have improved Ford van seats over the years. Sportsmobile themselves, if you have or had a Sportsmobile conversion, recovers them and I believe adds foam to make them more comfortable.

I have had many Ford vans and honestly the only OEM Ford van seats I could stand were Chateau package seats, velour/cloth powered with lumbar and armrests on one or both sides depending on year.

Having put many, many, many, many miles on base model Ford work vans I can tell you that the vinyl Econoline stock seat was designed by someone who wished to do people harm.

Also, you can pretty easily adapt any modern seat to work with Ray's (or other) swivel bases EXCEPT a powered seat as he stated above. Too much crap in the way on those.

if money isn't an option you need to learn about Scheel-Mann seats.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:13 PM   #6

Argh. Scotty, I think you nailed it-- and very well described what I wasn't aware of.

I've been driving on an '06 Chateau leather driver's seat, and more recently (but just a few weeks) on a cloth passenger XLT powered seat (both OEM), and I guess I just assumed the vinyl non-powered was the same seat, minus the power.

It is super different.

I will take the below advice and look around for a good seat that works with Ray's swivel. Let me know any specific examples. (searching now to confirm whether the Scheel Mann seats swivel).
Quote:
Also, you can pretty easily adapt any modern seat to work with Ray's (or other) swivel bases EXCEPT a powered seat as he stated above. Too much crap in the way on those.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:22 PM   #7

I feel like MG might be able to point you to a source for Scheel-Mann swivels...
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:39 AM   #8

Ok-- I thought I was happy with stock (was really feeling humble / satisfied with myself by actually sticking with stock on this aspect of the van), but turns out I was only happy with the powered seat.

I'm planning to get a scheel-mann vario XXL with dual armrests, unless someone talks me into something different. ...Just need to get another paper route to pay it off.

Starting another thread to solicit recent opinions.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...nts-28355.html

Thanks again Scotty for confirming the vinyl take out is muy differente.