Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 08:35 AM   #1

WTB RB or EB350 4x4 SMB $40K - $45K

My husband and I have been drooling over SMBs for quite some time and its time to pull the trigger! We have been stalking this forum for months for the right fit for us and are wondering if our price range, $40K - $45K, is reasonable given that most current postings are $55K + for 4x4 SMBs (of any age). We do not need all of the bells and whistles on the interior, but would need a pop-top with bed, space for storage (key for all our outdoor activity gear), and seating. We don't want an interior shower but otherwise could live with any configuration/floor plan of SMB so long as at least 5 can be seated and there is space for up to four to sleep. So, forum members, are we crazy at this price point or is it possible patience will pay off for us with a new rig in our future?

ckack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #2

Re: WTB RB or EB350 4x4 SMB $40K - $45K

As you've seen, it seems that most 4x4 SMB's are being posted at high prices. Since you're open to different floorplans, you should also consider 2wd models and adding 4wd to it. I think adding 4wd comes in around $15k.

I found this one on the LA craigslist.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/ct ... 87436.html
Old 07-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #3

Thanks Mikracer. I have come back to this posting several times; however the shower is not needed for us and takes up a lot of space that could otherwise be used for storage, so we are hoping to find a bit more suitable of a layout. I have explored the conversion option from 2wd to 4wd with Sportsmobile, which they are only willing to do, but only on certain older models.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #4

Check with Chris at Ujoint if you pick up a 2wd and want to do a 4wd conversion. He has many options that will give you what some would consider a more capable 4wd setup than Sportsmobile's and there would be a much quicker turnaround time.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:31 PM   #5

Agile Offroad is another popular option (and valued forum member). SMB isn't your only option for 4wd conversions.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #6

Thanks Peppy and Mikracer, I will look into both as well. Do you have a sense for the turnaround time at each of those places?
Old 07-17-2015, 03:44 PM   #7

I haven't ever converted a van to 4wd, but I was really considering it earlier this year. I think the turn around time is around a week or two. That's after they actually start on it.

UJoint is based out of Fletcher, North Carolina and is the only company that sells kits you can install yourself. If you're mechanically inclined, this is a good option. There are guys that install the majority of the kit in a weekend. The hard part is the transmission/transfer case stuff and then you also need to modify the gas tank and get a front driveshaft made. They also install their kits as well, so you can just drop it off and pick it up done. http://www.ujointoffroad.com/home.html

Agile Offroad is based out of El Cajon, CA (near San Diego) and does a Twin Traction Beam front end which gives great suspension travel and ride. The owner is big on the Baja scene and built his conversion to go fast in 4wd if you need to. http://agileoffroad.com/

Both companies are highly regarded and I have yet to actually read a complaint about their kit or service on any forum. I can't say the same about a couple other companies that are doing conversions.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:02 PM   #8

To me, buying a 2wd and having it converted makes better sense. These vans are big and heavy and are hard on front end components. By having a van converted, you get the system of your choice with all new brakes, ball joints, shocks, bushings, hubs, springs, drivelines........everything. And for the same or even less $$$ than buying one already converted.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:16 PM   #9

I am a big fan of Agile and TTB. But to add to the info: Quadvan out of Portland,OR, who did our first van while they were still doing TTB's, is first class as well. Quadvan now does only solid front axle set ups which receive very good reviews as well.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #10

CKACK, I am a seller of a 2005 SMB 4x4, 84,000 miles, diesel, seats 5, sleeps 4 (RB50 config), very clean, etc.
If interested drop me a line and I will get you details.....BTW, I live up in the Colo Mtn's near Vail
DudleyTania is offline   Reply With Quote