Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2016, 08:48 PM   #11

That's the ticket! Thanks a lot. It is labeled on Car-Part as Back Door Glass and the swing out version is searchable when looking at a 1995. No one in my area but I sent out some emails to see about delivery. Fingers crossed

Old 10-27-2016, 09:46 PM   #12

A bit more Van OCD info around Pop Out Windows (PO's) based on years of looking:

Easy to identify PO's in pictures because the Pop Outs have three "buttons" vs four for the Fixed Glass. The PO's have two at the top and one at the bottom center.

Components unique to PO's:
Glass w Three holes (see below for notes)
The plastic frame with rubber seal thaat seals the glass when closed
The two upper hinge tangs with their special button bolt/ nuts. washers
The latch mechanism with the button/nut for that to mount to the glass
The plate which goes under the sheet metal which the latch screws into
The three screws.

Hinge assys, latches, screws and screw plates are common to the driver and passenger side PO windows, so they can be had at wrecking yards. The glass and plastic mounting frame(w rubber seal) and interior trim piece are unique to each door location.

The PO window trim has provisions for the latch base to mount properly relative to the door. The fixed windows do not have that recess.

The acorn nuts are common, and if missing, can be replaced with correct nuts (metric I think) and washers available at most any hardware store.

If you are missing ANY of the unique items (except the screws perhaps), you will be cursing at best, making a trip to the wrecking yard again, or unable to mount the PO's at worst. A set of windows without the screw plate is a common occurrence because the plate is attached to the door sheet metal from inside the door cavity and easily overlooked, especially by the junkyard pulling people. Make sure you get that plate and screws with your windows, along with everything else.

The PO window trims that van converters use (such as SMB) are still available (I have sourced them) but a set of four matching (Side doors included) is pushing $400 with shipping. These have the recesses for the PO latch as well as surfaces to mount the day night shades. Let me know if you want to buy these trims. I also have a decent supply of the butyl tape used to seat and seal the plastic trim ring to the door metal. let me know if any interest.

* Glass details (they are not all the same):
I think, there are at least four "colors" of factory glass around (I think Redoval can elaborate better)
1. Clear - virtually no tint and no coating. These are really nice (the best) if you want to match the tint of your other windows or CRL Style windows. This clear glass can be tinted to nearly perfectly match the other windows on the van.
2. Tinted dark with mirror type finish - These are fine if you have those windows on the rest of your van or are okay if you have dark mwindows elsewhere since these are at the back of the van and there is no "side by side" comparing. I once had a mirrored 40 door pop out next to the factory dark w/o mirror, it was close but not close enough, so after a year I put the fixed original back in. There is no way to re-tint mirrored finished glass to match CRL glass nearly perfectly, but it is close. Up to you iif it is acceptable.
3. Greenish tint
4. Factory Dark w/o mirror - really rare.

fyi - It is not always easy to see the differences just holding the glass up to the light, or even right next to a mounted window.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-28-2016, 06:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post

Easy to identify PO's in pictures because the Pop Outs have three "buttons" vs four for the Fixed Glass. The PO's have two at the top and one at the bottom center.
Lots of great details there Ray. A couple I didn't know about for sure. I've always looked for the 3 buttons, the easiest way to spot them from a distance. I look for them on every Ford van I see.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:35 PM   #14

I found and bought two pop out windows today at a pull a part.
Now I just need to find doors to put them in! LOL
A bunch of 10mm nuts and three Phillip screws then slowly peal away the frame from the door... butyl tape is a pain in the ass.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post

Components unique to PO's:
Glass w Three holes (see below for notes)
The plastic frame with rubber seal thaat seals the glass when closed
The two upper hinge tangs with their special button bolt/ nuts. washers
The latch mechanism with the button/nut for that to mount to the glass
The plate which goes under the sheet metal which the latch screws into
The three screws.

Hope that helps!
This definitely helps. Thanks a lot for the tips. I located a set at a wrecker off of car-parts.com and made sure to go over with them that I needed everything including the plate under the sheet metal, screws, special hinge tangs ect. They're being shipped and should show up next week! Thanks for the help to everybody. Ive been looking for these at junk yards on and off for a couple years and with my raised roof they will be perfect to get some airflow through the van in the summer.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:13 PM   #16

Fyi, I've never paid more than $25 per pop out.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:32 PM   #17

VanDam, you mind sharing what you paid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:05 PM   #18

Not at all. $125 Canadian ($90 USD) plus shipping. They are pulling, everything I need is there so I think its fair.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:08 PM   #19

Hopefully they are supplying the rolls of butyl tape for that price...
Old 10-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #20

I don't think $90 is too bad for the yard doing all the work and packing it to ship. Can't really compare a you-pull yard's prices to a full-service one.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote