Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #1

WTB: Side door bug screen

Looking to buy a set of used SMB side door screens. (Ford E350)

My understanding is that the velcro system used by SMB leaves a lot to be desired, and that some of you consider the screens to have been a waste of money and would happily get rid of them.

I'd like to see if I can mod the SMB screens or use them as a pattern to come up with a better design.

After all, a sewing machine is a power tool!

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #2

Re: WTB: Side door bug screen

You should be able to sew something up. My wife says she will do better than the one we bought from SMB. Similar velcro attachment, but two overlapping screens (overlap ~12") that hang past the bottom of the door by about a foot. Weighted at the bottom.to keep them in place.

Simply zip between the two screens for entry/exit and let gravity close them behind you.

May not be 100% effective, but much better than fighting with the zipper to go in and out.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

My wife (also on here so I have to be careful) sews up all kinds of stuff for McBeast ...

...privacy curtains for porta potty, PHT window insulators, PHT window curtain adjustment straps, cab side window top Sun shades (very very useful), storage bags for diff items, ... And, yes, bug screens for the side doors. They work, but it was a very frustrating project for her, and they are probably more fragilely attached than she would like.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #4

See, a sewing machine IS a power tool! I've been sewing camping stuff and horse stuff and dog stuff for years. It's great to be able to make custom items that fit your exact need.

For side door screens, I've toyed with the 6"-12" overlap idea rather than the center zip. And a variant: the overlap with magnets spaced on the vertical, to keep it closed

I figure on using snaps on the perimeter (per another mod), and weights and/or velcro at the bottom.

One weighting scheme I've read about uses lengths of sand-filled tubing in a channel at the bottom; the tube then becomes the core to roll the screen around for storage.

Material becomes the more interesting question -- no-see-um screening for tents is too fragile. 20x20 fiberglass screening for doors is a possibility, but I don't know how pliable it is. I don't know what the SMB screen material is.

Anyway, if someone wants to part with the SMB screens for a favorable price, I'll start with those. If not, I'll start from scratch (put it on the sewing list behind curtains lined with blackout cloth.).

Maybe "making window/door screens" should be a separate thread, not in Classifieds?
Old 03-24-2010, 04:08 AM   #5

Gray Dog,

I like the magnet idea. I have seen these for french doors on a house. They had flexible soft magnets every 8"-12" or so on the vertical overlap and then instead of weights, had more magnets at the bottom- these mate up to magnets which are adhered to the sill- they work pretty well. We were doing construction on the house, so in and out constantly and I was surprised how the screens closed themselves behind us reliably. I am pretty sure the home owner said they were from walmart.
teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #6

The comment about magnets reminded me of this site:

http://www.fx4.net/smb_mods/index.html

Note that the owner is using rare-earth magnets to hold his screen in place. Unfortunately, the link back to the homepage from this site is broken and there is no way to ask the owner any follow-up questions.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
Unfortunately, the link back to the homepage from this site is broken and there is no way to ask the owner any follow-up questions.
You could try: http://photo.fx4.net/contact.html (I googled "site:fx4.net" without the quotes to find all pages on that domain that Google has indexed).
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #8

Ray bought my side screen and did a real nice modification:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3229&p=27263&#p27263
Old 03-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Ray bought my side screen and did a real nice modification:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3229&p=27263&#p27263

Yep. That's what inspired me to ask if anyone else wants to sell their side door screens.

Anyone? I'm still hoping...