Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #21

Re: 1987 FORD E-250 4X4 FOR SALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious
Did you happen to catch these tops on denver craigslist. They do have one for short wheel base early ford.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1458895686.html
Yup, I contacted him. They're all hard tops. I'm really hoping to find a pop-top.

Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskoda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
You sure can. Quadvan or Salem-Kroger kind of do that, but they use factory new parts.
I tried calling Salem-Kroger tonight on Sportsmobile's recommendation. Both phone numbers on their website are no longer working =(
Wow, what a shock!! Wonder what is going on there.

I was up there a couple of months ago and they were quite busy.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Wow, what a shock!! Wonder what is going on there.

I was up there a couple of months ago and they were quite busy.

Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say they just really need to update their website.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:25 AM   #24

I dunno Scott. The eBay van appears to have very high mileage. The vehicle history report states that it has had as much as 175,900+ miles on it. And yet, the ad states only 82,000+. I think I would run from that van.
CharlyBaltimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlyBaltimore
I dunno Scott. The eBay van appears to have very high mileage. The vehicle history report states that it has had as much as 175,900+ miles on it. And yet, the ad states only 82,000+. I think I would run from that van.
That is a big difference, and you need to be aware of the difference, but it's likely a 5 digit odometer, so it's probably rolled over once, or twice.

Herb
Old 01-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #26

Just an update on my little saga. I tried to sell the van locally and got surprisingly few bites. I brought it snowboarding and everyone drooled over the rig, asking me tons of questions... Some folks wrote down the number from the sign in the window but no one called.

I decided to give in and put money into the van. Just before taking the ad off Craig's List, I had an interested buyer contact me and wanted to come view the van. He no-showed and when I returned the call the next day cut me off with, "can I call you back." I took the van in to be repainted the next day. He called a week later, apologized, said he lost my number, but didn't seem interested once I told him he'd have to cover the cost of the paint job if he wanted to buy it.

Who knows how long it's been since this van shined like this:

I'm running a spreadsheet on all my costs so far. I tracked the cost of the initial pickup including travel expenses. I have done a pile of minor things from getting a spare tire to fixing the oil pressure sender. Current total investment: $6,363.25

It's in the shop today getting the rear diff rebuilt and getting estimates on the slews of other repairs needed. This will bump me up another $1700 or so.

There's no end in sight. I'll probably break $10k before I'm ready to start on the inside.

Should be solid van when I'm finished. I wish it would have sold so I could just buy the Big Gray Whale.

Anyway, I'll stop posting to this thread now. When I have any progress to show, I'll start a thread over in the home builds forum.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #27

Hi Sorry about all the drag ...

But seriously good luck and it is a good project! Really a classic now I would say so if you do it right you might get your money back who knows...

In the mean time have as much fun as you can!!!
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #28

Guys and gals, I don't know what to do with this thread, it keeps poping to the top in classifieds, but of course it's an ongoing discussion of a sold van... incidentially Scott I'm glad you decided to work through it (although the gray whale is pretty cool). I'm going to move it to campfire and mark the title MOVED. Look forward to that build thread.

Now return you to your regular discussion...