Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #1

2006 V10 Quigley Home Build valuation request

Greetings fellow SMB fourm’ers,

I am looking to get an approximate value on my van to help obtain complete insurance coverages for the USA and also Mexico travel. My insurance agent is scratching his head trying figure this out. Anyone who wishes to give their opinion it would help out greatly.

Everybody has different wants, needs, and uses for their vans. Mine is my daily driver, and I also surf and camp the beaches in California and Mexico. I cook, eat, and shower or rinse outside. This is the design that works me.
I will not be at all offended in any way with whatever value you guys may think.
This van is not for sale nor do I have plans to sell. I still have places to go, waves to surf while I can still move.

Recent pictures are found here in my updated album:

Sportsmobile Forum - longboardguy's Album: The 2006 Great White Home Build

The van:
2006 Ford e350 V10 extended, purchased from the original owner in So. Calif.
Semi float LS 3.73 rear end
Quigley 4wd w/4 inch lift was installed when new
46 gallon Transferflow fuel tank
Aluminess side step rails
Bushwacker fender flares
2 - 2” tow receivers, front and rear
Towing brake controller
Front end Agile RIP kit installed last year including steering stabilizer, front and rear shocks. No changes done to the original rear springs.
Hellwig Rear HD sway bar installed
Recent ball joints installed
New Hawk brakes pads
Recent install of new front sealed hub unit bearings from Quigley
Spark plugs changed at 100K miles.
4 - New 17” rims, less than 3,000 miles on 285/75 Hankook Open Country tires
147,000 paved and freeway miles, very little off road use. This was not the PO’s daily driver but has been mine for the past 2 years.
Well maintained by the previous owner, all sales documents, window sticker and service records were kept including oil changes, repairs, every tank of gas, price, mileage and location.
California van from day 1, No rust or accidents. There are a few micro size nicks/chips in the paint from normal use. The Paint still shines up.

The Home build:
24 in Fixed top installed in 2017 by Fiberine Co. and slider windows added. The top is insulated.
New “group buy” 10 ft. Fiamma awning. Thanks 1der!
2- 100w solar panels, 2 - 100 watt AGM house batteries mounted inside
New Sony touch screen stereo w/back up camera
Upgraded Rubber mat flooring under carpets
Swivel passenger seat, Daytona front seats, no rips or tears in the fabric.
White perforated window vinyl privacy film
6 LED flush ceiling lights
Fantastic Vent Fan
42 gallon fresh water storage and on-demand electric pump
Outside cold water shower
Dometic flush top sink w/fold down faucet
Whynter 65 QT. chest style refrigerator/freezer
2500 watt PSW power inverter
700 watt Microwave
New 5 gal. Port-a-potty in a dedicated cabinet

All the cabinets, door cubbies, full extension drawers, Formica counter tops, fold out double bed, headliner, electrical were done by me. This is the 5th van I have converted since the first one in 1968. I am not a cabinet maker or fine finish carpenter. Nothing is perfect, but it is all close enough.

What it does not have:
There is not anything on this van made or installed by the Sportsmobile company.
No gray or black water holding tanks.
No water heater, rear A/C or furnace, LP gas system, or fixed interior stove.
No power 110 volt power converter charger. Currently, the 2 house batteries are charged only by the solar panels. The plan is to connect them to the alternator charging system.

Thanks in advance for any input valuation on this.

longboardguy

46 gal Transferflow tank, Agile RIP kit
longboardguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #2

Garage
Several questions, not necessarily jumping into the valuation issue yet....

1) Is your van registered as an RV here in CA?
You can verify this be looking at your registration --- it would likely carry the designation "MH" (for motorhome) somewhere on there if so. Your insurance will be VASTLY cheaper (and easier to secure) if your van is registered as an RV.*

*this inexpensive RV insurance only seems to happen if the RV is not your daily driver....insurance on an RV is cheap if you can prove that you have another vehicle that you drive as your primary. I'm guessing this could even be a motorcycle, but I'm not positive about that.

2) Can you post some pictures?
The listing of your van's content and equipment is great, but we're a visual bunch here....valuations will come together FAR more swiftly with solid photo documentation of what we're talking about.

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
Site Team

The responses will likely be all over the map, but I'd say $60K.

There's probably not really much difference in the insurance you'd pay for $50K or $70K, so I'd doublecheck with your agent regarding that, and then go on the high side just to be safe.

BTW, don't forget about the value of the contents of your van, and if the insurance covers that.

Herb
Old 07-11-2018, 02:17 PM   #4

If your insurance guy let's you insure a non-RVIA stickered van for $60K in CA there are many folks here who will want his contact info.....

The best I could do was an additional $27K of coverage above the value of the van.....I have 4x4, pop top, interior, bumpers, etc etc. ...and that depreciates over time..no stated value or actual value policy.

I had 21st century before that, and they only went to $5K additional coverage for things like stereo and wheels...and if I remember correctly AAA would do $9K extra but not cover the 4WD conversion.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #5

I'm with state farm, my van has been insured with them since 2009 as a van. When I completed my build I talked with my agent about more coverage ($80k ish) He asked for pictures and then sent them to an underwriter, they gave me "motorhome" insurance (without RV registration) with coverage up to $80k which is what I asked for. Premium is $507 year

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 07-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #6

Same here. State Farm, stated value based on receipts and their research on comps. 70k of stated value at approx. $800/yr
Wirehead is offline   Reply With Quote