Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #1

2500HP from a 5.4. That does 300 mph

I guess the 5.4's got a little more in it.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/25/...standing-mile/

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:40 PM   #2

I saw a factory one of those at SEMA back in 2005 I think it was, 4 valve, screw supercharger, a whopping 500+ street HP on pump gas, very impressive Dearborn effort at the time!

Now this, 2500hp with a 300mph record to prove those numbers, what an effort!

Think about it, that's 7hp/cu in, and it stays together for several 1 mile passes. Pretty remarkable.

My guess is they are running on methanol, efi, traction control, etc... the dragster I crewed on made about 2500hp from it's blown methanol 415 cu in Hemi, a well sorted combination proven by a lot of teams over countless years. But we only needed to do it for a short burnout, then 1/4 mile at time, hopefully for 6 passes a weekend with the rods still in the engine (Dam things are always trying to escape). Sounds easier than it is, from my experience.

The Texas Mile GT Ford guys are almost on their own, no one or little to 'copy cat', no prize money, no/little sponsorship, just hard work, lots of broken parts along the way, and bragging rights for 300mph.

Big tip of the hat to these guys
Old 03-27-2019, 04:17 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
That's very impressive---I found the 1/4 & 1/2 mile split times interesting.

Even more impressive is this was a standing mile run and not a short speed trap time.

Would have been great seeing a cockpit cam running too.

So yeah it does look like the 5.4's can take a bit of tweaking.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:23 PM   #4

I've been researching about that but it seems like the only alternatives are:
- Intake and exhaust mods like... short headers, cat back, cold intake
- 5 stars tune

Is there any other way to squeeze more power? I know the space under the hood is pretty limited...
lashidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:04 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashidalgo View Post
Is there any other way to squeeze more power? I know the space under the hood is pretty limited...
If these guys can squeeze that much power into a GT40 there's hope for the E-Series crowd. After all the engine bay of a van is like the Grand Canyon compared to the GT40's available space.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:09 PM   #6

Garage
Let's keep in mind the 5.4 engine used for that run was a 32v DOHC unit that started life with more than 500hp factory. Making 2500hp last very long isn't possible, but a short run and carefully controlled boost can work wonders!

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashidalgo View Post
....Is there any other way to squeeze more power? I know the space under the hood is pretty limited...

We aren't talking about a bunch of 'bolt-ons', you'll have to 'expand your mind' as my old physics professor used to say

Like the Chrysler 426 Hemi race engines I've worked on, the air-cooled VW race engines I build for my own stuff, I'm betting there aren't very many oem parts left on that 5.4 GT Ford engine. Maybe the cast aluminum block, but not if there's a billet alternative out there. I'll guess they are water cooling it, but with methanol, maybe not.

Consider just the fuel system as an example for a minute; 2500hp takes about 500-600 GPH for methanol. When I looked at their sponsor list, I noticed Wilson manifolds, and Sid Waterman... Waterman is an old Mechanical Fuel Injection company in Northern California who beside making Top Fuel nitro and alcohol injection systems, also makes cable driven mechanical fuel pumps popular with the Pro Mod crowd (electric fuel pumps just aren't reliable enough on high HP race engines). I'll go out on a limb, make an educated guess that's likely what they are using to move that much fuel. There's the drive off the crank (likely custom), the aft mounted pump (typically in or very near the tank) and a massive return line. Then high reliability, multiples of high flow injectors, driver, and ECU to flow enough fuel into the engine to keep it from going lean, and scattering your $40k engine all over some Texas runway.

I'd also guess they'd need at least 55psi of constant intake tract pressure, monster head studs, piano wire o-rings, copper head gaskets just to contain the cylinder pressures they must be achieving. The stock screw type supercharger has been changed out I'm sure. You can bet the entire rotating assembly (crank, rods, pistons) are all super race duty parts, that you don't buy from any catalog.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #8

Garage
https://www.motor1.com/news/315636/f...300-mph-video/

For those interested.....9k rpm is impressive, even in this caliber of engine/application, but it does help to explain the hp numbers without scattering the engine from the advertised 45psi boost. Needless to say it's a very strong running vehicle before the turbos were added.

Scott
Old 03-28-2019, 07:56 PM   #9

Scott, I looked around the web during lunch and couldn’t find any engine details, did you find something?

The curiosity is killin this cat
Old 03-28-2019, 08:04 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
Scott, I looked around the web during lunch and couldn’t find any engine details, did you find something?

The curiosity is killin this cat
I didn't, other than the knowledge we (Garrett Turbochargers) didn't sponsor the effort unfortunately. I saw 45psi boost and ice intercooling listed, but no specifics about the actual engine build. I'm very curious as well! These things don't stay secret long though!

Scott