Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #1

Alaska fuel availability

I'm planning a trip from Central California up to Alaska and back this summer. I wonder (among many other things) if I need to carry extra diesel (say two 5-gal jugs) in the van or if diesel is readily available on all the major routes up through BC to Fairbanks, down through Anchorage and back to Central California. I run pretty light and have been getting 17 MPG or better on trips. I have only run low (to the warning light) on fuel once and it still only took 28 gallons. I am thinking my "35 gallon" tank may really only hold 30 gallons ... but maybe that's another issue. This and any other Alaska advice will be greatly appreciated.

Philip

salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #2

Re: Alaska fuel availability

I've driven up and back 3 times and never had trouble finding fuel, gas or diesel.

Do yourself a favor and get a copy of a book called 'The Milepost'. It is the single best reference for driving in northern Canada and Alaska.

http://www.milepost.com/

It is also available at Barnes & Noble or Amazon.com.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #3

Thanks Mike. I have The Milepost on order from Amazon ... the 2012 issue is due out in late March.
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #4

We also relied on the Milepost. We also, because we did not know the area starting looking for fuel when we got down to half a tank. Never had a problem.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:35 AM   #5

Fuel is not usally a problem. If you have gone more than 150 to 200 miles and you see a station top up. The only trouble is that some stations miss the Fuel Truck every one in a while. In Alaska the biggest gap is 200mi.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #6

It has been a long time since I've done the drive to Alaska. Fuel was never an issue. However, flat tires and broken windshields were another story. Regardless, it is worth any hassles you may encounter and should be an unforgettable trip.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
It has been a long time since I've done the drive to Alaska. Fuel was never an issue. However, flat tires and broken windshields were another story. Regardless, it is worth any hassles you may encounter and should be an unforgettable trip.
That's interesting. 3 trips, been out to Kennicot, Eagle, DeadHorse and many other 'roads', no flats and no windshield damage. Maybe because I tend to drive 45 or less on gravel or worse roads because above that speed pointy rocks (thrown up by the fronts) tend to stand upright and puncture the rears. 45 or below seems to give them enough time to fall down before the rears get to them.

And, on the rare occasions that I meet traffic coming at me, I slow down or stop as they pass. They don't really throw rocks into your windshield, they throw them up and you run into them.

Or, maybe it is 'E' Rated tires and good luck.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
That's interesting. 3 trips, been out to Kennicot, Eagle, DeadHorse and many other 'roads', no flats and no windshield damage. Maybe because I tend to drive 45 or less on gravel or worse roads because above that speed pointy rocks (thrown up by the fronts) tend to stand upright and puncture the rears. 45 or below seems to give them enough time to fall down before the rears get to them.

And, on the rare occasions that I meet traffic coming at me, I slow down or stop as they pass. They don't really throw rocks into your windshield, they throw them up and you run into them.

Or, maybe it is 'E' Rated tires and good luck.

Mike
I did the drive up back in 1995 in a 1985 Chevy Suburban. So, I'm sure there a lot of different variables. Did I mention it was a long time ago?