Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Re: Always an adventure

Hope its an easy and inexpensive fix Herb. Keep us posted. We have the AAA RV towing package, hope its as good as Good Sam!

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

It always does something similar at this time of year. But it is supposed to be over 2 inches of rain on Tuesday so it's not a real common event. These rains at this time of year are, for the most part, tropical in nature. The problem is this is one of the coldest October's since 1962 from what's said. I'm sure it's snowing at Sample Meadows. Hopefully it will be clear by the meet. To tell the truth, I wish I were there during the storm Tomorrow....very cool IMO.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Hey if you're around, meet us up at Edison. It's a great excuse for work...you're not the boss are you?
I wish I could. Just got back from the East Coast Friday, and before the plane had finished taxing to the gate, I already had a "request" to set up another meeting back on the East Coast for this week. I'm off to LAX first thing in the morning.

BTW, I heard Fresno is supposed to get a few inches of rain, and that the mountains might get a fair amount of snow. Brings lots of warm clothes, and maybe some snow chains. We don't need an SMB-Donner party.

Herb
So Senor, what was the actual problem? What was the fix Inquiring Minds would want to Know...
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #14
Site Team

Some sort of seal in the turbo. I think it's a seal for the impeller shaft, but I'm not quite sure. The van was completed at Freedom Ford today, and may or may not be at SMBw yet for the original work I was headed to Fresno for. The service advisor said if the turbo doesn't have (back?) pressure, the engine won't fire up. Not sure I understand why. I'll dig up more info after I get the service paperwork back.

Herb
Old 10-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #15

Please inform the advisor to educate himself on turbos. Turbos dont work with backpressure - they have to be completly free flowing out the exhaust side for it to work. I hope they warranty the turbo for you, and bump for a really nice SMB. Just a side note - how many people with the 6.0 have upgraded/switched out their turbos to a Garrett or similar to get rid of the problematic Ford turbos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
The service advisor said if the turbo doesn't have (back?) pressure, the engine won't fire up. Not sure I understand why. I'll dig up more info after I get the service paperwork back.

Herb
JMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #16

JMan,

That's not completely wrong. The turbo needs some pressure to work, and it wouldn't be wrong to call that pressure 'backpressure' - if you are used to any exhaust pressure being called backpressure. If the seal or leak is on the exhaust inlet side of the turbo, you may lose enough 'backpressure' to prevent the turbo from getting up to speed.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #17

I had a problematic Ford turbo and had it warrantied out. If the new one fails I might go aftermarket, but the one they put in has been good for the bulk of my SMB ownership, so it might depend on what I could pull out of the JY if it goes out of warranty.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #18
Site Team

Before we lynch anybody, how about we wait until I get the van and just as importantly, the service paperwork back, and verify what the problem really was?

BTW, I forgot to post that just outside Bakersfield I saw my first Ford Raptor pickup. NICE looking truck.

"The F-150 SVT Raptor gets big fender flares, FOX Racing Shox with 11.2-inches of front suspension travel and 12.1-inches of rear suspension travel, as well as 35-inch BFGoodrich tires. A 5.4-liter V8 engine with 320-hp and 390 ft-lbs of torque is currently offered and Ford plans to make a 6.2-liter V8 with 400-hp and 400 ft-lbs of torque available."

Herb
Attached Thumbnails
2010-ford-f150-raptor-stock-18.jpg  
Old 12-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #19
Site Team

OK, finally dug up my paperwork. Here's the synopsis in Ford-speak:

Perform TSB 08.18.06. Do Operation C. Perform air test. Remove IPR valve to inspect. Found screen damaged and pieces missing [my editorial comment]. Replace IPR valve. Operation B. Engine still does not start. Do labor op F. Perform air test. Remove valve covers, found test plug on top of oil rail loose. Tighten, continue with test. Can hear air leak under turbo area. Do labor op D. Replace STC coupler with updated design. Reassemble engine, reassemble valve covers. Install oil bypass lines (replaced O-rings) run engine. Engine starts. Reset KAM. Steam clean under chassis. Road Test. Engine lacks power. Can hear hiss noise under heavy throttle. Inspect. Found ruptured CAC boot. Remove and replace CAC boot with updated design. Torque clamp. Reassemble. Reset KAN. Road Test. Do full load boost test, system pass.

FWIW, I never noticed a lack of power, so I'm not sure when the boot started leaking.

The paperwork doesn't say the STC fitting was leaking, but if it was, it might explain the light coat of oil on the bottom of my bellhousing.

Herb

IPR: Injection Pressure Regulator
STC: Snap To Connect (fitting on the HPOP)
CAC: Charge Air Cooling (the dreaded intercooler hose?)
Old 12-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #20

This hurts my head. Were the repairs under warranty? Or do you have the extended warranty for just the diesel?
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote