Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Re: Another Boring Work Related Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Around here its usually regular "going to fast" rollovers.
It’s amazing how fast they can drive with a full load. I give them a wide berth on forest service roads or just pull over if they’re on my tail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by depark
Electricity is some scary stuff that needs to be respected. Now if the general public could be taught that. Glad the driver was alwright.

Cheers
Darryl
You got that right Darryl! It’s unreal how ignorant most of the public is about high voltage. I've even had Law Enforcement, fire and ambulance employees do some of the dumbest things at an accident site. Like they have blinders on. I teach awareness classes to EMS people and all I can do is to tell horror stories. They need to be subjected to a good ole cross phase...that would probably hit home

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast
I have to hand it to anyone who has the skill and patience to drive large equipment for a living. I have a duck hunting buddy who drive fuel trucks for a living... cool as a cucumber when he's behind the wheel.
I agree. During haz-mat training you’re taught if the driver is running from his vehicle, do as the driver does and get the hell out of there Some of those guys haul some nasty stuff.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #22

Do you guys know the "rule of thumb" for HazMat spills?

Hold your arm straight our with your thumb up hitchhiker style. If you can still see the rig past your thumb, you are too close.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Do you guys know the "rule of thumb" for HazMat spills?

Hold your arm straight our with your thumb up hitchhiker style. If you can still see the rig past your thumb, you are too close.
I like it! I can see a lot of applications for this rule. The first application that pops into my mind is dealing with management at work. Dealing with management is a lot like dealing with a HAZ spill. Both are aggravating beyond belief.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #24

Garage

dang some crazy stuff in here. the moral: everyone is stupid but us.

im unknowledgeable about electricity. i just know not to f--k around with it. my mamma always told me not to play with things that i didnt understand. so i dont. ive watched my pops get thrown across the room before and a guy here at work take a kiss from 220 (i think it was 220), and get knocked off a ladder. his fingernails were black. it was nuts. he missed work for months. hell i watched a buddy take a jolt from a msd spark amplifier. it cleared a gap of almost a foot from his shoulder to the car hood to make a circuit. he ended up going home that day, lol.

i had a trucker making a delivery to a storage unit for the last guy i worked for. it was a storage unit, so it wasnt setup for large vehicles, even though Im sure code says you have to have power a certin amount of height. anyway, i was guiding this lady in so she would miss the low hanging wires. she stopped watching me and was watching her mirrors for some reason, snagged a wire and pulled the thing down. i was frantically trying to get her attention to stop, but she just kept on doing her thing. i just stood back and watched the show from there. this chick had live wires dancing around and wouldnt even get out of the truck. i couldnt believe it.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #25
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
dang some crazy stuff in here. the moral: everyone is stupid but us.

im unknowledgeable about electricity. i just know not to f--k around with it. my mamma always told me not to play with things that i didnt understand. so i dont. ive watched my pops get thrown across the room before and a guy here at work take a kiss from 220 (i think it was 220), and get knocked off a ladder. his fingernails were black. it was nuts. he missed work for months. hell i watched a buddy take a jolt from a msd spark amplifier. it cleared a gap of almost a foot from his shoulder to the car hood to make a circuit. he ended up going home that day, lol.

i had a trucker making a delivery to a storage unit for the last guy i worked for. it was a storage unit, so it wasnt setup for large vehicles, even though Im sure code says you have to have power a certin amount of height. anyway, i was guiding this lady in so she would miss the low hanging wires. she stopped watching me and was watching her mirrors for some reason, snagged a wire and pulled the thing down. i was frantically trying to get her attention to stop, but she just kept on doing her thing. i just stood back and watched the show from there. this chick had live wires dancing around and wouldnt even get out of the truck. i couldnt believe it.
Unless your life is in a higher danger then being hit by power, staying in the vehicle is the best thing you can do. Getting out could help you (your body) complete the path to ground. Many people die this way. Had a guy just a few months back do this...it was ugly.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #26

Garage

^^^ because the tires keep from the vehicle from grounding correct?

if you were to exit vehicle by jumping down/away so that no part of you was touching the vehicle and the ground at the same time would that be ok?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #27
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
^^^ because the tires keep from the vehicle from grounding correct?

if you were to exit vehicle by jumping down/away so that no part of you was touching the vehicle and the ground at the same time would that be ok?
Yeah but it don't take long before the tires begin to burn...steel belted tires you know. It also depends on the voltage. Yes jump clear and try to keep your feet as close together as you can on where you are trying to land plus shuffle away using the same method. A transmission line in the 70kV range can kill you from 10 feet away of where it lands. But in some circumstances no matter what you do just won't cut it. It also might kill you inside the vehicle and getting clear of the vehicle before they test (re-energize) the line might be the only way to save yourself. There are so many factors involved, it's usually taught that your best chance is to stay put inside the vehicle. Sometimes that's not an option:

Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #28

Garage

wow. good info, crazy vid. thing goes up fast. best bet is to just stay clear of all these kind of situations, lol.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:23 PM   #29

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
You got that right Darryl! It’s unreal how ignorant most of the public is about high voltage. I've even had Law Enforcement, fire and ambulance employees do some of the dumbest things at an accident site. Like they have blinders on. I teach awareness classes to EMS people and all I can do is to tell horror stories. They need to be subjected to a good ole cross phase...that would probably hit home
The first week that I started I didn't know what the hell I was doing! I remember a person asking for a length of bus, Huh!! (Bus: pipe or wire used to connect different equipment in a elecrtical sub station) Talk about a total nube. Any way The utility compny sent me to their training center for a 3 day orientation. They showed a video on the first day about burns. Letr me tell you, I have a strong stomachy and there were 2 times that I had to look away. The video showed, in graphic detail, the progerssion of an electrical burn! OMG, it was truly eye opening of the power of electricity! It destroys from the inside out! Any everyone should respect it's power.
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #30
Site Team

Garage

That is an eye opening video. We had people loose their lunch on that one. I sent CellularSteve some similar pictures. He said it ruined his day and to NEVER send pictures like that to him again