Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2020, 01:27 PM   #1

Question anyone running: Champion 2800W gas/propane inverter Gennie?

anyone running: Champion 2800W gas/propane inverter Gennie?

Hi all

I don’t like gas generators (don’t ask - long story ) so was planning on buying a (roughly $1,100) Honda 2200 (the new model) then using the $265 Hutch Mountain New Honda EU2200i Propane, Natural Gas & Gasoline Generator TriFuel conversion Kit

However the Honda 2200 seems to have a recall on it, and I can’t find them for sale at the usual places.

Is anyone running the $899 Costco sold: Champion 2800W Running / 3100W Peak Gasoline or Propane Fuel Powered Digital Inverter Generator

Costco advantage is that if I have a problem with it in the first 10 years I can walk into any Costco and say “this broke, i want a refund” … a pretty significant advantage.

I read that it is not quite as quiet as the Honda 2200, however on a 100 foot extension cord at a campsite…. not much of an issue.

I really don’t want a gas generator (it will hardly get used, and propane burns so cleanly, and I will always have propane with me in a spare tank, and gas goes stale after 6 months, and I don’t want to carry gas with us……) thus the desire for propane generator.

Thanks.

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:51 PM   #2

I don't see a 3100 watt model listed on their site or Costco? Only the 3400?

I have a pair of the 2000 watt watt dual fuels. It's rated at 53 db vs 49 for the Honda (The Champion 3400 is rated at 59). For campground use, I built a full ventilated enclosure which drops it by probably 10 db, so standing next to it, it sound like its off in the distance, and by 50' its imperceivable.

I have nearly 100 hours on each, including a good amount of time near full capacity. I'm happy with them. It has a decent run time on gas too, so for very long run times, I use both. Propane first, then when that runs dry I just switch over. But I primarily run propane so I don't have to worry about the carbs gumming up in damp NW winters.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I don't see a 3100 watt model listed on their site or Costco? Only the 3400?

I have a pair of the 2000 watt watt dual fuels. It's rated at 53 db vs 49 for the Honda (The Champion 3400 is rated at 59). For campground use, I built a full ventilated enclosure which drops it by probably 10 db, so standing next to it, it sound like its off in the distance, and by 50' its imperceivable.

I have nearly 100 hours on each, including a good amount of time near full capacity. I'm happy with them. It has a decent run time on gas too, so for very long run times, I use both. Propane first, then when that runs dry I just switch over. But I primarily run propane so I don't have to worry about the carbs gumming up in damp NW winters.
sorry - I meant to include a link.

https://www.costco.com/champion-2800...100284958.html

May I ask how much you paid, approx, for the 2000 watt dual fuel?

the idea of a sound baffle is a very good idea.... except we are a bit limited in what we can cart around, as we are in a pop up truck camper.

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:31 PM   #4

Garage
I purchased the Honda EU2200 through HUTCH MOUNTAIN and had them install their Propane Conversion kit (great operation to deal with and they matched the best price I could fine for the Honda !!!)...They have a Honda dealer across the street they do business with - they'll arrange to get the Honda Generator (recall already addressed since they are an "authorized" dealer), Hutch Mountain will install the propane conversion kit for you (think I paid $60 for this), and then ship it to you (free shipping).
They were so accommodating, they even made me extra long hoses and added quick connects to all. Highly recommend them.
https://www.hutchmountain.com/

Let me add; using a 100ft extension cord at a campsite only makes the db a little less for you, but everyone still hears it... I like carringb's method to keep the noise down. Believe if you PM 86Scotty, he has (had) a slick arrangement that worked inside his rear Aluminess storage box. He may be able to share some pic's with you.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:34 PM   #5

Just a reminder that the peak and running watts when running on propane is less than the advertised gas watts. So depending on what you plan on powering with the generator, take that into consideration.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:08 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Just a reminder that the peak and running watts when running on propane is less than the advertised gas watts. So depending on what you plan on powering with the generator, take that into consideration.
Thats interesting - never heard (or read) anything about this before...not that it impacts me for what I use it for, but certainly could be of concern to someone trying to power something like an a/c unit.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:23 PM   #7

TwoCentrix asked me to post a pic of my enclosure. Unfortunately I just put the cover on the trailer, and that's where it normally lives, on a rack above the propane tanks.

But here's a similar pic:

It's a 55-gallon Home Depot Tote. And on one end of the lid, I mounted a roof vent and an exhaust fan. Then I sharpied "Sewer Hoses" on the lid, so nobody is inclined to investigate what's in the tote. I've already had a couple people compliment me on keeping my sewer-hose storage vented

The exhaust wall of the tote is lined in header-tape, with a mat of steel wool attached to that to help dissipate sound energy. I put holes and slots around the "cool" side of the box for air intake. Then used some 3" open-cell foam to create a barrier between the "hot" end of the box and everything else. The propane tank lives in the box too.

Anyways... I'm sure there's better ways. That was just what I ended up with after a few hours of scope-creep, originally just intending to build a travel-cover. But it works VERY well. I do think that the 50 CFM fan is too light for full output. It's fine at 50%, but in hindsight I should have spent the extra $10 for the 70 CFM (these are the cheap bathroom fan replacements from home depot), they use a small duplex plug for power, then I use a short lamp cord to plug into the genny). One of the benefits of this setup, is I can buy another box, cut most of the lid out, and stack the boxes to enclose both generators while stacked and running in parallel.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:01 AM   #8

That is brilliant CarringB! I must borrow that idea. For now I just splotch a little brown paint on a roll of toilet paper and leave it sitting on anything I don't want stolen. Crappy thing to do to a respectable thief, I know.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
May I ask how much you paid, approx, for the 2000 watt dual fuel?
I paid $600 each. Normally they list for $700 but I was able to get Home Depot to match the price of an online retailer, by using the online chat feature. I wanted to pick these up rather than having a couple of nice gensets sitting on my front porch with nobody home. So my overall total for both, with the parallel/stacking kit was $1274.99, which was quite a bit less than the Honda 3,000 I was originally shopping for, and still would have needed to do the propane conversion on.

Also, most of the time, I really only need a single generator, since its primarily used to either charge my trailer batteries, or run power tools on the jobsite. So besides getting a more total watts available, it's just more flexible.