RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Arlington Va
Posts: 49
AWD Transit opinions

In short, what is everyones opinion on the Transit AWD? I am seeing a lot of issue with the 10 speed transmissions and reports of them sitting at the dealership with extended repair times.

I was mostly happy with my quigley 6.0 (bullet proofed) EB with RIP until I rented a transit recently and the comfort difference is not even comparable. Prior to driving one I had researched econoline vs transit until my eyes hurt and came to the conclusion that ease of repair, lower cost, and overall ruggedness where more important to me. The data is somewhat skewed since there is decades of data on the econoline and the transit is in that window where I feel like only the negatives are coming out...I.E. not enough time has passed for people to put a couple hundred thousand miles on one.

My end goal with the econoline was a high top, which the transit gives me out of the box. That combined with ease of cold weather use(not having to plug in, heat works), noise and smell not offending neighbors, stealthy, and comfort make the transit pretty appealing.
__________________

__________________
06 E-350 EB 6.0 Quigley
seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Scalf77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,794
Admittedly I have not even go to my first oil change, so my data will be limited. I love the way the rig drives, haven't seen any issue in the drivetrain so far. Haven't really had the need to check out the different AWD settings either.

The only issue that I believe I have is a large parasitic load that kills the battery. And for a vehicle that has so many battery saver options I find it unbelievable that I can completely kill it. I did take it in to the dealer, they found nothing wrong after 4 days but did replace the batteries. I admittingly have not put much effort in to tracking it down, mainly took it in to establish a record of the issue, and see if they possibly could find the issue.

The next time it goes back to the dealer I will have more data.

-greg
__________________

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:41 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Arlington Va
Posts: 49
What is your setup? I.E. Battery isolator with dedicated house power, stock, stock with lots of addon electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Admittedly I have not even go to my first oil change, so my data will be limited. I love the way the rig drives, haven't seen any issue in the drivetrain so far. Haven't really had the need to check out the different AWD settings either.

The only issue that I believe I have is a large parasitic load that kills the battery. And for a vehicle that has so many battery saver options I find it unbelievable that I can completely kill it. I did take it in to the dealer, they found nothing wrong after 4 days but did replace the batteries. I admittingly have not put much effort in to tracking it down, mainly took it in to establish a record of the issue, and see if they possibly could find the issue.

The next time it goes back to the dealer I will have more data.

-greg
__________________
06 E-350 EB 6.0 Quigley
seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Scalf77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,794
My van electrical is stock at this time, I have hooked up to CCP to test a few things I have installed Fans, Awnings , but have not started my house electrical yet. So this is pure Ford, they are disconnected.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:55 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 409
I also have limited data as I've only test drove the Transit a few times before making my purchase. Still awaiting on my 2020 AWD in 2021.....sigh

I really love the way it handles, it drives like a car and is very comfortable coming from an E350. It feels like a really big Subaru, which is great because our other vehicle is an Outback which we love.

Our 5.4 was a pig on fuel and a harsh ride, it made it hard to stomach a few very long road trips physically, cost of fuel and our limited range (400-450KM) kept us from venturing too far away from a gas station.

Our E350 has a fiberglass high top which we love, but the clean transition of a high roof van is hard to beat.

Our Transit will double our fuel economy and range, that puts me more at ease to venture out further than I would have. Ours has a lot of options so its quite spendy, but I was also prepared to drop money at Agile for a TTB conversion but they stopped doing them.

We were pretty much sold on our first test drive just on the comfort/ride quality.

While the Transit is relatively new to North America its been around in Europe for quite some time.
__________________
2004 E350 RB 5.4L Chateau
4x4 Quigley w/ Fixed High Top
Cyrull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
simplesez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 696
I've got about 600 miles on ours. Very happy with it. Was holding out for Quigley version but it just didn't happen. Been camping in negative 10 degrees lately so it has been nice to have more space than the Sportsmobile pop top in this new Transit.

Ours is a low option crew van but I'm impressed with all the Ford gadgets that are included. Wish the AWD came with the diesel but the ecoboost has crazy power at altitude just not great MPG.

Pretty much a top of line build so let me know if you have any questions. Still waiting on van compass lift kit. Maybe in the spring is my guess.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1187.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	37767Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1188.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	37768
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:43 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
I've got about 600 miles on ours. Very happy with it. Was holding out for Quigley version but it just didn't happen. Been camping in negative 10 degrees lately so it has been nice to have more space than the Sportsmobile pop top in this new Transit.

Ours is a low option crew van but I'm impressed with all the Ford gadgets that are included. Wish the AWD came with the diesel but the ecoboost has crazy power at altitude just not great MPG.

Pretty much a top of line build so let me know if you have any questions. Still waiting on van compass lift kit. Maybe in the spring is my guess.Attachment 37767Attachment 37768
Do you have a build thread? What is that front bumper mount that you have? Do you have the split front/rear camera, if you do does it obstruct it?
__________________
2004 E350 RB 5.4L Chateau
4x4 Quigley w/ Fixed High Top
Cyrull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:09 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
simplesez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
Do you have a build thread? What is that front bumper mount that you have? Do you have the split front/rear camera, if you do does it obstruct it?
No I didn't build it. CoPilot Vans made it. Yes there is a camera. It is located on the windshield. Other front sensors are not blocked.

Walkthrough video here

https://youtu.be/cHihjLvOGU8
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:18 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
No I didn't build it. CoPilot Vans made it. Yes there is a camera. It is located on the windshield. Other front sensors are not blocked.

Walkthrough video here

https://youtu.be/cHihjLvOGU8
I thought that van looked familiar! I've seen that video, nice rig!
__________________
2004 E350 RB 5.4L Chateau
4x4 Quigley w/ Fixed High Top
Cyrull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:24 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
simplesez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 696
Thanks we are really fortunate to own it.
__________________

simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awd, transit

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Sportsmobile Registry

Blue Buffalo

BigBrap

Van22

Van22
Add your Sportsmobile
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×