Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #11

Bears have also learned that RV's often contain people, so they tend to avoid RV's - according to a Park Ranger.

The best way to get rid of mice is to keep them out. Crawl under your van and look for any cracks or crevices where wires/plumbing/propane/etc. enters or leaves the van. I had mice once and spent a couple of hours plugging holes. After that put some bright lights in cabinets and, at night, crawl under looking for light leaks. Lead wool works best, but expanding foam is ok.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #12

Lightbulb

On rodents in RV's...
my wife and I full time in an rv (since 2011) and have used a product called "Fresh Cab" (_info link_). We have one pouch in the basement of our 43ft toyhauler we full time in and also a pouch under the bed in the van. No issues with the little ones so far.

As for bears we've seen signs they are around but we do our best to stay down in the valley when they are up in the hills and out of the area when they come down to eat the berries and fish ; ) So far the only bear-encounters I've had were in Yosemite while backpacking. One so close it was the bad breath that woke me up, just let him sniff away without me moving. Don't need to repeat that one.

: ) Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:40 AM   #13
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Bears are looking for the easy meal...your van would be considered a last ditch effort....they like berries, grasses, occasional protein (chasing most anything down, except cows, expends too much valuable energy...and are you worried when your hiking and the SMB is alone? Thieves with crowbars are more likely...but if a bear were to try to break in, the alarm would go off and deter?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9083.jpg   IMG_9117.jpg   IMG_9090.jpg  
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #14

Well, trail heads, certainly. Especially in the Sierra's on the rare occasions that I visit CA, but more so every summer in CO. But my biggest concern is actually in my driveway at night. Our bears are becoming problematic. It's humans fault. Trash bins get raided, bird feeders consumed, chicken coops ravaged, and many people leave car doors unlocked with granola bars in the console, so the bears have learned to open doors and rummage interiors, and break through screen doors on houses. We also have lots of tourists who leave coolers out, food on picking tables... You'd think the Yosemite bears came here and taught them. They're learning to "open" car doors the same way. Like a sardine can. I don't want my new van to look like a sardine can!
Old 05-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #15

All our food lives in a big yeti cooler that goes outside the minute we set up camp. Doubles as a step outside the barn doors. Then at night we throw a padlock on either corner which I doubt any animal would have an easy time picking. Simple routine and nice to not have to wonder about critters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
glasspack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #16
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
On rodents in RV's...
my wife and I full time in an rv (since 2011) and have used a product called "Fresh Cab". We have one pouch in the basement of our 43ft toyhauler we full time in and also a pouch under the bed in the van. No issues with the little ones so far.

: ) Thom
Well I said it doesn't work but I should say maybe it works...I haven't had any issues at home with mice. In the backcountry I actually was wondering if the Fresh Cab detoured them at all I guess maybe it depends maybe on the type of mouse??? They were running over the top of those packets during a few outings where Micky attacked. I even put more new packets out and it still didn't work as advertised on at least the few occasions where I was over run with the critters. I actually brought home mice from the Tetons back to CA Took about a week to finally rid my van from the invasion. I still keep Fresh Cab on board because if it sheds 10% of the mice wanting to come in it's worth it plus I kinda like the smell the packets put off.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:50 AM   #17
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVerhulst View Post
Well, trail heads, certainly. Especially in the Sierra's on the rare occasions that I visit CA, but more so every summer in CO. But my biggest concern is actually in my driveway at night. Our bears are becoming problematic. It's humans fault. Trash bins get raided, bird feeders consumed, chicken coops ravaged, and many people leave car doors unlocked with granola bars in the console, so the bears have learned to open doors and rummage interiors, and break through screen doors on houses. We also have lots of tourists who leave coolers out, food on picking tables... You'd think the Yosemite bears came here and taught them. They're learning to "open" car doors the same way. Like a sardine can. I don't want my new van to look like a sardine can!
Didn't know it was that bad!! Guess you'll have to have the 'ready to go' stuffs on a shelf in the garage for easy packing, and NO FOOD STUFFS in the truck at all! I'd keep a couple cans of Bear Spray around just incase you can "fire on em"from the garage or bedroom window (if you catch them in the act)...the success rate of bear spray is impressive, and you don't hurt the hungry critters...THe other thing you could do is get yourself one of the new Transit series from Ford! You could scare them away!!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #18

I've had mice and bear problems. Lucky me (although the bear breakin wasn't with the SMB).

In Yosemite I take everything out but the stuff in the fridge. Probably pointless, cuz the inside will smell of food. Bears just don't seem to go into vans much without seeing what they think are food containers (a Rubbermaid bin, for instance).

I noticed that for camping at Lake Louise Parks Canada requires any vehicle with any soft side (SMBs, popup trailers) to camp within the bear fencing, and not in the hard side campground.

And speaking of, I would think a bear fence might be a good idea. Although some kid in the campground grabbing it might NOT be so nice...unless he's after your beer.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:44 PM   #19

We camped in western Canada last summer and I had major concerns about bears and the thin canvas penthouse wall that was all there was between us and the bears at night. We kept cooking inside to a minimum, looked for campgrounds with other campers, and eventually bought bear spray --- after encountering a bear while hiking. I don't think there is much more one can do. The bear spray spray may be false security but I feel much better knowing I have some defense.
cpbland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
...over run with the critters...plus I kinda like the smell the packets put off.
Wow, sorry to hear of the Mickey Encounters. Crazy. We see more chipmunks than anything else in camp and i'm not sure if they mind the FC around.
We also like the smell in the van. Hides any run-away odor from the potty or laundry bag.
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote