Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 11:12 AM   #11

Thanks Andrew!

Yes, a fed bear is a dead bear... This is on those who feed or provide access to food or trash.

And yes, I also had to learn, and I feel obligated to do my part in passing on these lessons. If you did things wrong in the past because you didn't know or didn't realize, just change your behavior now. Everyone has to learn sometime and somewhere.

Thanks to everyone who behaves responsibly and does their part in teaching others of how to interact with wildlife in general, and bears in specific.

Thanks!

Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Completely fake. No way the people would be that relaxed.
I kinda agree.... They all look & act like they belong in, or to, a circus
Old 08-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewInSeattle View Post
... So even if you're so macho you're not afraid of the bear, you should still be afraid for the bear...
Sadly, way too many individuals that just cant grasp that concept
Old 08-18-2020, 11:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Sadly, way too many individuals that just cant grasp that concept

Indeed... Not causing unnecessary damage to other living things around us is hard ... but very worthwhile!
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Huijser View Post
And now that I am sharing some bear insights:

... the bags many of us have on our spare tire should not have trash in them (and no food, or anything that may smell interesting to a bear) if you are camping in an area with bears... of course rodents will get into it just about anywhere, but definitely do not store trash in those bags in bear country.
In Whistler BC, a couple folks attending the nearby overlanding rally received citations when found with trash in their Trasharoo, because they were in bear country, which is pretty much everywhere there.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:13 AM   #16

Bear Spray Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewInSeattle View Post
Note that Canada classifies all defensive sprays as weapons, so you can't bring it across the border (assuming the border re-opens eventually).

As of a year ago (and for a number of years) Bear spray can be brought both ways as it is considered a registered substance....Pepper spray gets confiscated...We learned that the hard way a while back. Tho they did leave us with our way excess liquor supply, however

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...9-13-2-eng.pdf

Cheers
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #17

They just had to put down a bear a few weeks ago because a family thought it would be cute to have videos for their social media......

https://globalnews.ca/news/7261588/b...cted-it-video/
Old 08-23-2020, 12:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorefc View Post
As of a year ago (and for a number of years) Bear spray can be brought both ways as it is considered a registered substance....Pepper spray gets confiscated...We learned that the hard way a while back. Tho they did leave us with our way excess liquor supply, however

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...9-13-2-eng.pdf
I stand corrected, good to know!

When we crossed into Victoria, BC, several years ago, the border officer pretended to be interested in our camping plans and asked what sort of "animal protection" we were carrying. I genuinely had no idea it was a ploy to get us to brag about our weapons and/or bear spray, and just stammered something about mosquito repellent. The officer got frustrated and waved us through, at which point my wife broke into laughter. She's always been smarter than me, but I can do the innocent naif way better when dealing with the Law
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #19

Actually, you can bring bear spray into Canada. We have done it. First, I understand that our northern neighbors distinguish between personal protective stuff like mace in a small concealable container, which is illegal, and bear spray which is sold in large spray cans. We were on a trip that encompassed several national parks with bears, including Glacier and Yellowstone. We were packing bear spray. We entered Canada along the border between Glacier and Waterton Lakes National Park (the Canadian side of Glacier). We were asked if we had any weapons, and we declared the bear spray, told the guy where we were going and were permitted to cross. I would advise that if you have bear spray, declare it.
mechmike10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:03 PM   #20

Yup, we’ve gone in and out of Canada multiple times with bear spray, at BC, Alberta, and Yukon borders.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote