Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #1

Beer Protection

This is a topic I haven't seen covered before. I've been hitting tougher trails lately and I've found that the van bouncing around is killing the beers in my cooler. Not so much an issue on the way in since the ice keeps them in place. On the way out though the ice is melted and beer damage occurs.

The obvious answer to my problem is to drink all of the beer I brought before heading home. But sometimes that isn't possible...well maybe possible but not the best choice. What do you do to get your beers home safe and sound when you drive rougher roads?

Apologies for the graphic image here. The squeamish may want to look away. All cans were popped and all bottles were broken after the last trip.Click image for larger version

Name:	979638574.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	22676

Old 09-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #2

Better suspension.

edit: My wife saw the email notifications for this thread and pointed out how odd it was that I replied at all... since I've NEVER had a beer in my life! ...I have broken/damaged far more than my fair share of vehicle parts and cargo from outrunning my suspension though.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #3

Ha ha ha.
Jocularity is well needed, thanks for the good laugh.
By the way,
My wife fills up her growler from Hamilton’s Pub with stout and stores it in her clothes bag! She leaves it warm. I load my ss kleen canteen with whisky. That hasn’t even dented.
When we do bring more we have a cooler with a big solid block of ice, for cans of beer only stoked up next it on the side. A small cooler lined with newsprint and towels covers a big block of dry ice. We break off chips and put them on the block. It’s a tight cooler, the dry ice last three plus days at best, but chips keep our block in the other cooler solid for the whole trip. Lately, we return with plenty of block left and nothing beaten to pulp from bouncing around.
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #4

LOL WUT?!?!

OK this one has me stumped. I take washboard roads at freeway speeds, have gotten airborne intentionally and definitely not intentionally. I think at this point I might have broken more rear axles than everybody else on this forum combined (ok just 3...). Yes, I've had some pressurized beers afterwards, but my only casualties have been from beers rolling out the door, not inside a cooler! And some of my weekends with a bulk pickup at the brewery or distributor....

I think your damage is internal to the cooler. You need more beer! So it can't roll around! If you drink most of it, take up the space with a grocery bag stuff full with other grocery bags. This is how I keep the coffee pot safe in the pantry with bottles of various cooking oils and vintagers.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #5

I've been wrapping my wine bottles in bubble wrap, and keeping bottled and canned beer in the 12pk container. Only keeping enough on ice that I think I might need upon arrival while setting up. Add more when we get there... Let'er rip, tater-chip!

and yeah, sadly, I loose one or two beers occupationally RIP
Old 09-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
I don't carry bottles on the trail just because they can break. What a mess and what a crummy feeling making it to your camp only to find glass and foam. At least brewers are offering higher grade beer in a can these days. Also aluminum can be smashed & packed out easier. I have an EB-50 & keep the room temp beer in the back on the lower bed. I have two high dollar coolers, one for easy access by the side barn door and the other in back with dry ice keeping a few bags of store bought ice frozen until I have to restock the beer cooler or have a cocktail. I usually can go for about a week+ that way. If I'm in colder temps, I put my beer ice chest outside (it's bear proof and locks) rather than subject it to my cab heater.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #7

Garage
Glass and drunks don’t mix well, lol. We don’t ever take glass on outings. We’re too clumsy and don’t wanna be the idiots that breaks glass someplace no one wants it.

We’ve been playing with dry ice. We’ve froze a few things, but overall it’s worked really well. It’s awesome cause it freezes the water in the bottom so when you remove a beverage, there’s a perfect spot for restocking. We’re still getting it down, but we’ve had really good luck so far.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:42 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Ahhhhh reminds of the good ole days when every vehicle was simply a way to go get or deliver (more) beer, countless hours spent practicing packing coolers as full as possible with cans of beer, buying the latest greatest newest cooler promising to keep beer at the perfect temperature...........ya all know this story.

The best solutions offered so far is: cans only and keep the cooler as full as possible. Wine drinker have the boxed versions, some brands coming in plastic resealable bottles these days too---its all why we went to the moon some years back!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
...Wine drinker have the boxed versions...

"Friends don't let friends drink boxed wine"
Old 09-08-2018, 06:55 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
"Friends don't let friends drink boxed wine"
That's only true while in "civilization"; nice restaurants, at home relaxin' etc ---camping is the exception.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote