Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2021, 11:25 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Dave, steer clear of Moab then. You can still get away from the crowds but it's getting harder, mostly because the crowds there are all off-road capable.

Heck it was that way in 2009 Eric. Maybe not as bad but I have seen a huge change over the past few years even in the national forest's around here. I do understand, but a friend who is one of the FS biologists said most of this in coming from DC. It's a cryin shame when they consider all areas as one group and treat them all as the same. Places that have been kept pristine over the last 50 years are being shut down because other dispersed camps in the general area have been trashed. In some circumstances their solution is to close off or contain all people into group camps. Yes I'd love to see pit toilets at Leavitt Lake where we camped but at the same time they continue to restrict camping in that and many other similar areas. It might not need to be that tightly controlled, but each area should be accessed and controlled by the local forest service personal who actually know the region not bureaucrats in DC. Funny how the forest service allowed putting in paved roads to places I once needed a 4x4 to get to. If they really wanted to keep it as it once was, why put a highway so to speak to those regions making it accessible to those who typically trash it? The Alabama Hills is more unique and more of a EZ spot for the general public to access, but the dispersed camping I've been used to while growing up as a kid is shrinking big time.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:14 AM   #22

Echoing others comments, we regularly use this as an overnight...spectacular and seldom more than a few others in the area since it is often edge season...the beautiful thing about the hills was the ease an access for stopping on the road and stark beauty in the twilight/moonlight...
Hope it does not fade into a overdeveloped campspot with the associated noise and advertised access...The BLM must be struggling with this as they really don't seem to want to manage campgrounds...Oh, the way of Death Valley..
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:28 AM   #23

It's really everywhere. I remember going to City of Rocks 30 years ago when they called it "The Silent City of Rocks". It was amazingly quiet with very few people. Not so much now. Partly my fault I guess. When you find a nice place, don't tell anyone else about it. Ha. The Red River Gorge has gone crazy over the last 30 years also.

Remember the old saying. "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded".
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:45 PM   #24

Garage
Dave, the plan calls for keeping the existing sites, removing a few and not jamming anymore in there. BLM understands the need for some distance.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:26 AM   #25

After reading the report it brought back memories of my beloved Jawbone Canyon.
I grew up exploring, hunting, camping and 4 wheeling in the canyon just 2 hours from Los Angeles. That was before highway "14" made it non stop. I recall the flat areas around the Jawbone Siphon were popular with dispersed campers......mostly dirt bikers. As toy haulers, a booming CA economy allowed for the creation of weekend warriors I saw the end of "my" Jawbone. Soon the hillsides were scared with erosion. the gradual destruction became rampant. It was not long after the first BLM draft reports were being created. Being a closet supporter of free access I sent a number of written opinions to the BLM. I knew in my heart that action had to be taken or there would be NO Jawbone Canyon left. My positions were centered around what was a "existing vehicle road, path. To no avail my sacred dispersed camp site was soon off limits. Years later there was a fence which lined the south side of J C into Kelso Valley. That was a dagger in my outdoor heart. After my dear childhood friend who I camped with from the age of 5 passed I hiked into out camp site had a few shots of his favorite Scotch whiskey and said good by to MY Jawbone Canyon (as we knew it) with a 3 round salute with his 12G shotgun.
Hello Alabama Hills......I know it's necessary as I belong to a hunting club to the south of the hills. So I see similar deterioration. It's inevitable that regulations will be needed to save the wholeness of the hills.
HighCountry 2003 E350 EB 50 7.3 4X4 SMB
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:52 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Dave, the plan calls for keeping the existing sites, removing a few and not jamming anymore in there. BLM understands the need for some distance.

Very happy to hear this Jeffery. And yes the bathrooms are a logical addition I approve of.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:54 AM   #27

Fantastic insight @HighCountryMike. Thanks for sharing your story.
Adventure4Vets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #28

All of the above

More proof that the denizens of this site are a cut (or two) above the unwashed masses. Most any other site dealing with this issue would soon deteriorate to trolling, idiocy and name calling. I agree with everything that has been said here and as usual the comments are full of insights. The neo-van life kids aren't helping much. It would be nice to see some job creation that would allow for many of those youngsters to contribute to, more than they take take from. And HighCountryMike, thanks for the memories of Jawbone Canyon back in the Sixty's. Last Easter my wife and I were trying to find an isolated escape spot in the midst of COVID when most everything was shutdown. Thought of Jawbone but ended up elsewhere. Seems as if that decision saved a few sweet memories.
Greyswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:35 PM   #29
Orv

Garage
I think the problem "the kids" have is equal parts jobs and housing. Every year for the last couple decades we've had more new families than new housing units in the US, which is great for people who want to retire on the value of their homes, but pretty hard on people who just need somewhere to live. The result is in many parts of the US you can be employed full time and still not be able to afford rent. Add in some student loan debt and it's genuinely hard for a lot of young adults right now. It's way harder than when I was that age, that's for sure.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:57 AM   #30

Garage
I see, Mike. That's why there's no wildlife left there. Those that haven't been killed by people have died off from all the lead shot left in the soil.