Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2021, 08:52 PM   #31

At risk of beating the dead horse, Mike, again I agree with your comments. Both my 20 something daughters are working in good jobs and thus are 20 years ahead of their old man. But their parents assured that they could attend the college of their choice and finish debt free. They understand this and are quietly grateful. I had no such advantage and after Viet Nam I managed to get through school with the GI bill and a lot of menial jobs. Yet I know I did so during a forgiving time with a good economy. That said, I understand that you cant paint all the van kids with the same brush. I live in a San Diego beach town that is a favored place for a great number of van lifers to just "hang" through the winter making little or no effort to do anything but get by and live an easy life. On the other side there are are an entire group of the same age group that I meet on my climbing trips. They are taking breaks from school or have been laid off from jobs, largely forced by COVID. Most are good and aware folks and are respectful of other campers and the environment. Too many others are anything but and its those folks that the BLM has to regulate to control. No easy answers, I know, and I'm forever thankful that I live here instead of Iraq or Syria or Venezuela, etc.

Greyswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:44 PM   #32

Not familiar the sites being talked about, but this whole year of coronavirus has been crazy. We have had nice secluded state forest campground we have stayed at for decades. Very quit and fairly easy to find a camping site. Yes, use has been increasing over the years, but this year!! This year it was like a traffic jam. Cars, dozens of vehicles coming and going looking for empty sites. When we left we had two groups discussing who got our campsite. Seems like everyone is taking up camping. So many newbies. Hope they go back to what they were doing before the virus when it is over. I'm afraid though I am just wishful thinking.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 04:33 PM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS View Post
So many newbies. Hope they go back to what they were doing before the virus when it is over. I'm afraid though I am just wishful thinking.
I don't think this flood of RV'ers & Boaters will last long. Most of these people concluded its really the only game in town if you want to get out of the house.

When we see some relief (and confidence) in gathering amongst the crowds, many will abandon this lifestyle. Be willing to bet quite a few RV'ers already figuring out the closest they want to be to camping is Motel 6. Boaters on the other hand are realizing It can be cumbersome to tow their toy around, and for the larger vessels the first time they fill a 200+ gallon fuel tank will induce shock (along with maintenance, waxing, and slip fees). Cheapest thing on a boat is the beer!
I'm anticipating some great prices in a year or two for these two markets, when a good percentage come up for Sale.
Just my opinion...but sure hope I'm right!
Old 02-06-2021, 06:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I don't think this flood of RV'ers & Boaters will last long. Most of these people concluded its really the only game in town if you want to get out of the house.

When we see some relief (and confidence) in gathering amongst the crowds, many will abandon this lifestyle.
Just my opinion...but sure hope I'm right!
I hope your right too. Fortunately, I normally try to camp at spots that are remote and hard to get to, and that somewhat limits the crowds. Not to mention that I have met like minded folks there.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:29 PM   #35

I too hope your right Twoxentrix...the time line for your projections could be a little longer.
I am sure there are going to be some nice buys on sprinters in your future forecast.
I think this coming summer will be much like last years......crowed.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:28 PM   #36
Orv

Garage
I think the trailers and big motorhomes will go on the market before the Sprinters do. A Sprinter you can park in your own driveway, or even on the street. The people who realize they're paying storage fees for an RV they've used once in the last six months are going to be the first to rethink it. Most Class C's are not built to last so they depreciate pretty fast, too.