Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #11

Re: Boon-docking in Mammoth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosMars
Thanks for all the great info everyone. We'll be printing this out and bringing it with us to refer back to as we play it by ear. Were 'staying' with a group of friends who are renting a condo so we want to be reasonably close. A campground where we can have everyone over for a campfire with bathroom facilities nearby would be our first choice (next to a lake with fish so thick and hungry you get bored with the monotony of pulling them in would be a nice bonus ). Summer being what it is, we'll take what we can get.

I'll be hitting REI and the bookstore tomorrow, any specific topo maps or forest service maps, other than general Mammoth, Eastern Sieras area I should keep an eye out for? I was looking through my copy of Backcountry Adventures, but my copy is for the Southern California region and cuts off just at the edges of where I'm researching. I'll be putting in an Amazon order for the book on the Northern region; both will have a prominent spot on the Sportmobile's bookshelf.

When the little ones get older, I want to tell them we have a three day weekend coming up: Here's a map, find someplace within an x-mile radius from home...
I sometimes have to balance multiple interest groups too when camping.

But around Mammoth, there is unfortunately no boondock camping near a stocked lake. Laurel lake is excellent, and somewhat remote, but it is not stocked by DFG.

In fact, all of the lakeside campgrounds are typically zoos during the peak summer months. I've had enjoyable stays with quiet and nice campground neighbors; but, more frequently I've had the sort of nightmare experience with loud idiots that makes me swear "never again."

IMHO, the best bet for a good lakeside or streamside camping experience with excellent scenery is the Rock Creek area about 15 miles south of Mammoth. If you get lucky, some of the streamside spots in the Big Meadow and Iris campgrounds can be very nice.

Good luck.
R

Old 07-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #12

Rock Creek Lake is where a friend told me to hit for fishing/camping with the kids. Your seconding recomendation just bumped it up the play-it-by-ear list.

Thanks again and keep the options rolling in! We'll post an introduction/trip report when we get back.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

We've been doing some Boon-docking on some of the trails with a obvious camp spots off 395/Owens River Road, on the north side east side of it.. and not where everyone is camped.

Close to the actual river passing thru but not that close.

We have a few favorites sites since the cell service is actually quite good if your working remotely.

We also like the fact that we can ride into town on our enduros, through the forest trails, emerging near the McDonalds and or grocery store to stock up supplies and ride back to camp.

These are Boon-dock sites and not have any campground faciliites, and or human neigbors.
It's just you, the trees, the birds, some bugs, coyotes and sometimes bears(keep your trash bags with leftovers up high)
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #14

Garage

Boon-docking might be the only choice now...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ankruptcy.html
Old 07-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Oh no...this can get ugly. Never seen nothin like it, the new American way

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
Boon-docking might be the only choice now...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ankruptcy.html
Not likely to impact the campgrounds since those are maintained, funded and staffed by the USFS.

Local services, however, have been severely impacted.

For years the town was run by Barney Fife types and they wrongly assumed that the good ole boy approach meant they could ignore a signed legal contract. And when sued, the town refused to settle and dragged the case through the courts for years. The eventual $43 million judgment could probably have been settled 5-6 years ago for less than $10 million................oh well.

R
Old 07-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #17

Thanks for all of the tips everyone, we had an amazing first trip in the new vehicle. We wound up getting a reservation at Sherwin Campground, but it looks like the weather system that came through at the end of last week scared a few people off because the area sure didn't seem like it was swarming with summer crowds.
Anyway, we had beautiful weather all weekend, aside from the afternoon winds that put a damper on the fishing. We just got home Tuesday night and are already planning an overnight at Bolsa Chicago State Beach this weekend. I'll put together a fuller report while I'm cozying it up in the S.B. this weekend...