Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #1
Site Team

Bronco premier

Not available yet, a lot of marketing hype, and not a van, but there's some encouraging bits in this Bronco video. I'd still like a normally aspirated, low RPM (non-Coyote engine) V8 for low-end torque, but maybe that's coming down the road.

Herb

Old 07-14-2020, 06:24 AM   #2

I dig it. You need one.

Great video Herb. Thanks for sharing.

Thoughts: New Bronco (2 door), brilliant! An offroader with a decent power plant. Why do they say 'projected' before the power numbers? Don't they know by now? Is that the new legal speak for "Hey, it's got some power but we're not going to stick our neck out and go with an actual figure". I don't get that.

Bronco 4 door: A Bronco built solely to compete with Jeep 4 doors, no other reason for it period. Doesn't look nearly as good either.

Bronco Sport? WTF is the point? Just attaching the Bronco name to another chinzy crossover wannabe SUV for mall crawlers. No surprise from Ford but does the world need another small SUV?

No animals were harmed in the creating of this post.

Remember! Stay on approved trails. You wouldn't want to actually explore as the movie voice guy says in the first 5 seconds of the video.

.....and don't forget your mask.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:36 AM   #3

I'd want Leno's Bronco.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I'd still like a normally aspirated, low RPM (non-Coyote engine) V8 for low-end torque, but maybe that's coming down the road.
Surely someone is going to try to shoehorn a 7.3 Godzilla in! No coincidence that Jeep revealed the Wrangler 392 at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Bronco Sport? WTF is the point?
Seems like they just wanted to re-use the name to me. Whereas the Bronco II was an alternative to the FSB that was closer in size to the original Bronco, the Bronco Sport seems to have a different target market than the new Bronco.

I like that the new Bronco is IFS. Even though it's clearly meant to cannibalize Wrangler sales, I'm glad Ford didn't just try to copy/paste Jeep's formula directly.

Am I the only one surprised that the 2dr version is nearly as large as an FSB?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...o-old-broncos/
Old 07-14-2020, 10:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Bronco Sport? WTF is the point? Just attaching the Bronco name to another chinzy crossover wannabe SUV for mall crawlers. No surprise from Ford but does the world need another small SUV?
The Bronco Sport has a rear driveline lock and rear axle locker. Plus is has respectable suspension travel. I think it's great they are offering this, since the Escape has become much more of an urban-crossover. This is more like original Escape, but better! It's actually capable of stuff Subaru owner *think* their car can do. And +1 for not having a CVT.

Anyways, more important in my book... I REALLY hope the big-Bronco's hydraulic front selectable sway bar can be made to work on a Transit!
Old 07-14-2020, 03:49 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
...Bronco Sport? WTF is the point? Just attaching the Bronco name to another chinzy crossover wannabe SUV for mall crawlers. No surprise from Ford but does the world need another small SUV?.
Yeah, just dilutes the product image they're trying to create IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
...Anyways, more important in my book... I REALLY hope the big-Bronco's hydraulic front selectable sway bar can be made to work on a Transit!
That does sound very interesting.

Herb
Old 07-14-2020, 04:20 PM   #7

Hmmmm. Manual two-door as a flat tow???? Interesting thought....
Old 07-14-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
Site Team

I did read somewhere else that the manual transmission was only available with the smaller of the EcoBoost engines. That's disappointing, but at least they're offering a manual right up front.

Herb
Old 07-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post

...Anyways, more important in my book... I REALLY hope the big-Bronco's hydraulic front selectable sway bar can be made to work on a Transit!
My immediate thought upon hearing about the sway bar in the video was "I need to find the part number for that!"

Where there's a will, there's a way... I'm assuming that it's got a "smart" module attached to it which would mean that it needs some CAN inputs but that isn't too much of an obstacle these days.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:43 PM   #10

Garage
Herb, I knew you would be all over this. Looks like a very fun toy!