Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #1

Bug Restoration Project

Yup, haven't been 'round these parts much lately. I've been elbow deep in my classic VW restoration project. Why should you care? Well, I assume you don't. Anyway, last night, I scored a new/unused, in the box Blaupunkt radio for my Bug (correct year and everything -even with the owner's manual). Going to deliver the Bug to my buddy's paint shop on Wednesday for a show car finish in the original, rare color (according to Barrett Jackson, only 272 of these were built). What will it look like when done, you ask? Well, here's one (not mine) with a fresh coat of paint:

I'm restoring mine back to original with only a few minor liberties. One, the above pic shows the correct wheels that came on these Champagne Edition IIs. I hate the skinny, cheap and expensive 165 tires you end up using with these 4.5" wide wheels. So, I have a set of these wheels but they are the ones used on 914s, so they are 5.5" wide (allowing for normal 195 tires). Another minor liberty is the molding around the front windshield won't have the chrome insert. I've never liked that chrome insert, so I'm going Cal-Look and using an all black rubber windshield surround. No biggie. Finally, isntalling a new carpet kit that is jsut better than orig (orig is like fuzzy headliner along the lower sides with rubber on the floor. Never cared for that, so jsut using a full aftermarket high quality carpet set (same color). That's it. Historically accurate (with the listed minor exceptions) all the way down to the new radio.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #2

Re: Bug Restoration Project

And to think I've been resisting the urge to tell everyone about my new tractor...
Old 11-09-2009, 11:11 PM   #3

Tractors rock. Bend my ear. Tell me its a Ford 9N.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #4

Garage

That is a gorgeous bug. See my gallery for a picture of my Champagne Edtion Westfalia. I am not nearly as much of a purist as you, though. Nicely done.
Steve in LA
Old 11-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #5

No, but close... it's made by the same people who make this:

But it's only a SCUT and all blue.

So how about some pictures of your bug... you know the before (the now )
Old 11-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #6

Here it is after I cut out the rusty floors and welded in new ones (also after several coats of Por 15 on the new floors). This was about a year ago:

Loading it up and taking it to the paint shop tomorrow. Should have it back sometime before X-Mas.

New interior door panels arrived today and they look great. Color is spot-on. Carpet arrived today and I like it much better than what came out of the factory (although I did save my orig carpet).

Jage, I know you want to know, but are afraid to ask, so here's the pic of the new 32-yr-old correct radio I just got:

I've had a spate of luck lately. Also secured a new old stock orig (not a reprint) unused owner's manual. Sweet:
Old 11-11-2009, 09:39 AM   #7

Damn Steve. Did you store your Westy in a museum for the past thirty years? Great specimen. I loved my former '85 Westy (Tiico conversion, SA grill, AT Italia wheels...just a few mods). Miss it just a smidge, but the Sporty makes a whole lot more sense though.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #8

Looks like Mercedes wheels on the Westy. My neighbor has a set on his Westy also.

In addition to having more power, being bigger inside, having more amenities, my SMB gets better mileage than his Westy(16mpg).

The old Westys are very popular. Nothing else in that size that will do the job. And the air cooled ones can be repaired anywhere with minimal tools.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote