Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #21

Re: California DMV fees

Use tax, gotcha. If it increases 50%, the SMB might have to go. Im not paying $1200 a year for this thing. I'll go back to a landcruiser thank you.

2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #22

One of the reasons I left CA. My registration last year was $400. Here in NC, we have "weighted" tags, and mine is $69. Nice.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #23

I just double checked with my tax guy, upon registration last year paid $134 for license fee and $3488 for use tax. I still dont see how it's going to be what you guys say. He said they're looking to double the license fee, if thats the case it will be $268. The use tax is one time only.

Now im thoroughly confused

Charlie, did you just buy your rig too? I see you have a '08.

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Old 02-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon
DO NOT try this in California! As far as I know, ANY vehicle that is in the state of California for longer than twenty consecutive days Must be registered in CA. YES, that means that if you spend three weeks in Ca. on vacation, on the twenty first day your vehicle (and you yourself if you have an out of state drivers license), are here in violation of CA law! The state
of California has no sense of humor regarding this!
I have a friend who has a ranch in Hamilton MT and a home in Carmel, CA and a CA D.L. He got stopped last Summer for a minor traffic infraction here in CA and he had a CA D.L. and a MT registered pickup, and when the cop asked him how long he had been in CA, he said five weeks. Even though he lives and owns property in MT, he had to pay a huge fine and register his truck in CA. Then he had to take it back to MT (where it lived) and re-register it in MT. All this cost him THOUSANDS of dollars!. California, which I love and have lived in for 63 years, positively sucks when dealing with the government. ( This sort of sounds like the tirade I was on about the Canadian Government a few days ago; sorry!)
Bill
Bill, this doesnt sound right...

Have you read the law(s)?

From the California DMV site:

How To Register A Nonresident Vehicle

Definition of a nonresident vehicle

A nonresident vehicle was last registered outside the state of California. Anyone who brings a vehicle into California, or purchases a nonresident vehicle while in California, should be aware of the registration requirements.

NOTE: California law prohibits importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets or is exempt from California Emission standards. If you acquire a 49-State vehicle (manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country, you may not be able to register your vehicle in this state.
Reference:Health & Safety Code Section 43151(A)
When fees are due

Commercial vehicles and any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered upon entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Visitors whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state may operate their vehicles in California until they:

Accept gainful employment in California.
Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
Rent or lease a residence in California.
Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).

Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties.
NOTE: Nonresident military personnel stationed in California or their spouses may operate their vehicles with valid out-of-state license plates from their home state or the state where the military person was last stationed.
Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties.
Registering the vehicle

The following is required to register a nonresident vehicle:

An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) signed by all registered owners, showing the name and address of the lienholder (legal owner), if any.
Last issued out-of-state title, unless held by the lienholder/legal owner (This applies only if there is not a change of registered owner.)
Last issued registration certificate, if the applicant is the same as the registered owner shown on the out-of-state title and the vehicle entered California with valid out-of-state registration, or if the title has been lost.
Bill of Sale if the person from whom you are buying the vehicle purchased it from the registered owner shown on the title.
Odometer disclosure statement signed by the seller and buyer if the vehicle is less than ten model years old.
The vehicle must be inspected by an authorized DMV employee, law enforcement officer, or a licensed vehicle verifier. These inspections are most easily obtained by bringing the vehicle to the nearest DMV, where there is no extra fee charged for the inspection. For faster service, make an Appointment(s) .
Smog certification, if applicable
Weight certificate, if applicable
Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (REG 4008) form for commercial motor vehicles (pickups with unladen weight of 8,000 lbs. or less are exempt from this requirement)
Appropriate Fees

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Old 02-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureduo
Charlie, did you just buy your rig too? I see you have a '08.
I bought it a year ago March 1. The license fee component is based upon the purchase price. It will drop some each year (probably tied to depreciation). If I bought the same van today, the license fee component would be $761.

The following is from the CA DMV website
The VLF was established by the Legislature in 1935 in lieu of a property tax on vehicles. The formula for VLF assessment established by the Legislature is based upon the purchase price of the vehicle or the value of the vehicle when acquired. The VLF decreases with each renewal for the first 11 years. The VLF is prorated if the assignment/reassignment of a registration year results in a registration year of less than 12 months.

The only way I can see to get around it is to buy a stock van, then have SMB to a retrofit. That way you only pay the registration fee on the base price of the stock van, and not on the cost of the completed SMB package. Of course "our State" will get you another way.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #26

I think commercial vs passenger is a big factor as well.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #27

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Adventureduo-

Apparently, they bullied and threatened my friend into believing that he had to do what he did. I think that they made things as confusing as possible ( sort of like filing income taxes) in order to collect as much revenue as they can. Possibly my friend could have avoided the hassle by having a california homeowner's exclusion.
With our state in such deep dodo, I can't see it getting much better.
By the way, when I bought my van in October '08, the registration fee was $219, the license fee was $727 and the California Tire Fee !!!!! was $8.75 for a grand total of : $954.75

Bill
Old 02-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #28
Site Team

Garage

Yep and it passed. Only A.S. (The governor) can stop it. If he lets this through I will add a S to his initials. But the true ******** are....well we all know or I should say I know who they are (IMO).

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #29

Well, hmm... maybe cause we bought our van used we pay a different amount than you guys?
Why did i pay more in taxes for a used van than Bill did for a brand new van?

And i never paid a tire fee.

Weird.

I guess i will see when it comes time for registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureduo
The only way I can see to get around it is to buy a stock van, then have SMB to a retrofit. That way you only pay the registration fee on the base price of the stock van, and not on the cost of the completed SMB package. Of course "our State" will get you another way.
That's exactly what our PO did. They paid tax on the van first, then had the truck built.

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Old 02-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
One of the reasons I left CA. My registration last year was $400. Here in NC, we have "weighted" tags, and mine is $69. Nice.
This is one minor reason that we will be leaving CA for VA. Not that VA will be kind to us in vehicle taxes, but the difference in what we can afford in terms of housing will be huge.

Herb