Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #11

Re: Camping Gear list, what are the top 20 items?

On our 30-day XC trip last summer, we took a good bit of stuff, but only used some of it. Since ours was a move every day or every two days sort of trip, this will vary than if you basecamp for a while. Also, we cooked some, but not a whole lot, preferring cold breakfasts and lunches mostly.

The things we used consistently:

1. Propane stove (Coleman two burner) and canisters
2. Five gallon water jug. We have onboard water system, but it's not currently hooked up. Plus, I just prefer having a container I know is clean and sterile and easily flushed. Also, had a one gallon water jug filled always with potable water, easier to grab and pour, etc. Easier to fill from a tap, too.
3. Wash basin, dish soap, drying towels
4. Paper towels (and TP, of course!)
5. Lightweight fleece blankets. We had sleeping bags, too, but found ourselves using the fleece blankets more as they fit the temperatures better.
6. Mesh laundry bag. Necessary when traveling for a long time to keep the dirty clothes corralled and carry into the laundromat.
7. Smaller Nalgene-type bottles, used to decant larger liquids into for easier storage in small refrigerator.
8. Post-It notes, Sharpie markers. Really! Handy to have around for many reasons, mainly as reminders (unplug the external power cord!), but also for various campground related issues (marking a site as occupied on a post, leaving a note for the CG host, whatever).

Also, as others noted, invest in a good first-aid kit (we have a decent sized one from REI; they go on sale at least once a year) and a fire extinguisher. Our first-aid kits is in the door cavity on the "60" barn door, the extinguisher is under the passenger front seat. We had to use the first-aid kit a few times (we have an active eight-year-old son!), but thankfully not the extinguisher.

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
After every trip I seem to pack less and less
I need to. Every year you should pull out everything and put back the minimum.
We're unpacking now, storing clothes we never wore over two months, etc. Next trip we're going to limit the amount of space we want to use for stuff -- I.e., containers on floor only in the back 3' -- and anything that doesn't fit doesn't go. Who knows? We might have to go without something. :-)

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #13
Site Team

If you guys can figure out how to minimally pack while travellng with your wives, I'm jealous. 'Open space' equals 'space to bring more stuff', in some people's eyes. Not that I'm pointing my finger at anyone I know or might be married to
Old 11-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #14

Garage

When my wife and I first married we did a lot of backpacking, so our gear was minimal. When we car camped, we would just take the same stuff, including the backpacks. Then somebody gave us a Playmate cooler for a gift. For one trip in the summer, I decided to put some cold drinks and ice in the cooler and have it ready for us when we got back to the trailhead.

It's been all downhill since then.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #15

Since you are just starting, I'd suggest thinking about it like regular camping. So:

Shelter
Sleeping (sleeping bags or sheets and blankets)
Food
Water
Needed medications
A way to cook and eat the food (stove, pots, skillet, utensils, plates, cups)
First aid kit
Clothes as needed depending on the weather expected
Maps

Next, it depends on where you are going. Camping in open campgrounds? If so, TP will most likely be available but bring some just in case. Going off-road? If so, pack things needed if you get stuck or break down.

Next, plan what you need to enjoy your experience. I you like photography, then you need a camera. If you plan to just relax, then camp chairs are nice. If you are going to be out for more than a few days, then storage for dirty laundry and garbage becomes an issue.

We have a lot of stuff in our van which stays there year-round...coats, hats, rain gear and swim suits; pots, a skillet, plates, forks, and cooking utensils; bath towels and kitchen towels; tools and recovery gear; maps and binoculars; etc.

We also have duffel bags for stuff to add depending on what we will be doing/where we will be going. They include duffel bags for fly fishing and kayaking.

We also have a list of last minute items including medications, cell phones, laptop, food, wine, liquor, ice, pet food, magazines and e-readers, etc.

We always keep 3-days worth of clothes in the van and some canned food and water. The water tank is always full along with the propane and gas tanks. So, it is possible to grab our medications and just drive away and we'd be okay for several days.

Like Dave mentions, I do review what is in the van and pull out things that haven't been used except for emergency equipment, etc.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #16

THANK YOU ALL FOR RESPONDING, I will use these as guidelines, including the older posts..it will be a big help, now to find all the crooks and crannies that I can put this stuff in!
Old 11-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #17

Our packing list has over 300 items. We check off everything before each trip. Some of the items at the end are things to do before leaving and there is a sub-list for hiking day trips.

http://davidelmore.com/VanessaList.php

David
Old 11-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Appropriate cooking utensils. I watched people try to cook bacon with a plastic fork.
I always have a few real mugs and one metal spoon. Nothing like having hot chocolate mix and nothing to make it in, plus the metal spoon is pretty versatile.

We also have a french press coffee pot, the mugs do double duty.

Extra butane
Extra cooking spray

Those are the things that have really bitten me in the past. But if I only needed 20 things I wouldn't need the SMB!
Old 12-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #19

Shenrie,

Do not forget a battery or hand crank blender to make blended alcohol drinks

(we need a smilie for Margaritas, etc.)

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #20

The big thing for me is remembering for EVERY trip. I've found a nice little app called the Camping List. Once I create a list (and you can have different ones) I can just check things off as I pack or make sure that they're packed. I leave the list all checked and the next time I go I just uncheck items as I pack them. I have a Sherman pre trip list and a Sherman post trip list. Food list, boating list, biking list, scuba list, skiing list, camera list, etc, you get the idea. Then it just becomes a...crap, where'd I set my iPhone.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/camp...st/id383720993
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote