Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #1
Wbp

Camping in smokey mountains area.

Anyone have any suggestions on camping in the Tenn, NC, Ga area? Would like electric hook up and bath accoumdations if possible also dog friendly. Thanks for any information.

Wbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #2

IMO member 86Scotty would be the man to talk to.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:36 PM   #3

I strongly recommend getting the Ultimate US Campground finder app for your smartphone/tablet if you don't already have it. It will put you on some great stuff.

All the NP campgrounds are no hookup and limited services, plus they're covered up this time of year.

I recommend Indian Boundary in Tellico Plains, Tn. It's on the Cherohala Skyway and is a real gem. Cataloochie is supposed to be a really good one but I've never been, it's on the east side of the park off I-40 between Knoxville and Asheville. Both of these close at the end of Oct. though, I think.

Tennessee is full of beautiful State Parks. Just pick one. They all have full services and are open year round. You can reserve a lot of them on Reserve America.

I've stayed in a lot of the Georgia State Parks too, but they have weird rules like 2 night minimum stay on weekends and I think they have their own reservation system. If you're on the way up from Florida check out Cloudland Canyon. It's amazing but a little west of Chattanooga in the NW corner or Georgia and not really in the Smokies. It is at the edge of the mountains, kind of the back side of Lookout Mountain.

If you decide to get off the beaten path for some dispersed or primitive camping let me know, and I'll have a bunch more suggestions.

I live just south of Knoxville and primarily spend time on the West side and south sides of the NP. Someone from the Asheville area might have some other great suggestions for you on the east side, maybe Chris from Ujoint?

If you're OK with commercial campgrounds there are a few good ones in Townsend, Tn., said to be the 'quiet side of the Smokies', but I've never found the quiet side. For me, the quiet side of the Smokies is in Colorado somewhere. It's the most visited NP in the nation. Still well worth a visit though. If you can sightsee there during the week I would recommend it.

I'm glad to throw out some more if needed. Standing Indian in Franklin NC is amazing too, but not sure about hookups.

:b5
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #4

Fox fire riverside campground in Hartford, Tn on NC /TN border is great on the pigeon river with whitewater rafting. A little close to highway but I look more remote places in smokies with my smb. Tsali is great as well in southern smokies. Any NP campground in pisgah is great from Bent Creek, Davidson River etc are great.
subluxation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:37 AM   #5
Wbp

Thanks for the suggestions I will check some of them out always good to get some first hand information. This will be my wife and I first trip in the van and we want to do a shake down to see what we need to add or change before we head west in the future.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:35 PM   #6

I was here with Chris and a few guys from ujoint about three weeks ago and it was very nice.
Here's the link, Davidson River Campground | Camping in NC | Pisgah National Forest | Cradle of Forestry Interpretive Association
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:56 AM   #7
Wbp

Thanks again for the information just got back from our trip found some good places. I did find that a lot of place closed down 10/31/2016 so need to figure that in next time. The trip was our first time out in the van, overall we had what we needed but there are a few things we need to add and change in the van.