Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #1

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Camping with a new dog

We finally got a new dog after being dogless for almost 20 years. My former dog went everywhere with me and I am hoping this dog will also.

I suddenly started to notice dog restrictions where I hadn't really looked before. Do you travel to State, Federal Parks, etc. with your dog? Do you just go to open National Forests and BLM and stay away from state campgrounds?

Thanks,

Keith

Old 10-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #2

Usually we minimize camping in campgrounds for this reason. Many states parks allow dogs if they're on a 6 foot leash... but the vast majority are starting to go the opposite direction. In some areas, bringing in a pet can become an added attraction for outside wild animals around camp. In other areas, pets can create waste (we pick it up anyways?) around camp. I dont understand what the big deal is, but to some it is. We are planning a trip to Utah and i just found out no dogs in Bryce. We may not stop there now.

Bringing our dog is mandatory on all trips. So we research where we are headed first. - always. We're lucky to do more remote , primitive camping than a campground with facilities.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Sooooooo.... where are the photos of this new dog ????
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureduo
We are planning a trip to Utah and i just found out no dogs in Bryce. We may not stop there now.
We took our dog into Bryce and stayed at Sunset Campground in May of this year. There are some restrictions (not allowed on the trails), but they are allowed in the Park.
http://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/pets.htm
So don't take this Park off your list, you will regret it. Its an amazing place.

When we passed through Yosemite last month I noticed that the sign says to inform the ranger at the entry gate that you have pets.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #5

Don't know if this is std. for all National Parks, but dogs are ok at Yosemite, with restrictions. E.g. they are allowed on paved walkways only, not on hiking trails. This can put a damper on activities, but they are allowed in the Park and in campgrounds I believe.

When we're up in the high country (Tuolumne), we drive just outside the park boundary at Tioga Pass and go for hikes on National Forestland.
1999 EB 4x4 7.3l diesel. Custom layout: 4 capt, big bed, PH, fridge & sink. Aluminess all around, bushwhackers, AR wheels, racks and yakima box on top. Our 2-year-olds have for some reason named it "Moose Van".
wannaSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #6

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
Sooooooo.... where are the photos of this new dog ????
This is Presley.

We found him at the Northern California Border Collie Rescue. He has some issues we are working through now - his previous home had small children who were not supervised to well which resulted in Presley being distrustful of children. Our kids are long gone but the neighborhood has lots of them.

One reason we got him was to add excitement to the spoiled cats lives. He has accomplished that!

Regards,

Keith
Old 10-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #7

Awesome Collie. Congrats! Charlie, thanks for the 411. Glad to hear it. We'll head there for sure now.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #8

km, Nothing informative to add here, but wanted to say "good on ya" for going through a shelter. Looks like you have a new buddy for life, and a really sweet, handsome one. Big congratulations on that after so long.

I see people with kids and think "no thanks," but with dogs, I'm always looking with longing eyes. Haven't had one since I lived at home as a kid. I'll live vicariously through you and the other good dog owners out there.

Cheers.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
I am thinking that Presley's eyes say he is not real sure about that camera or the person behind it.... good lookin' pup !
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:45 PM   #10

Dogs are great we have three and take them with us on our trips. a 17 pounder a 25 and a 40 pounder.......got to love all that dog hair.

Congrats on the new family menber

FB