Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #1

Can you bring dog food into Canada?

Sounds like a stupid question, I know, but if you read enough internet forums and BBS's, nothing seems too stupid.

Doing a cross country and a good chance I may finally head to Alaska this time, but I keep reading about how dog food is forbidden.

I hope to call the Canadian border people tomorrow, but was wondering if anybody here has any real world experience with that or any other border related issues.

Thanks.

Paul

Old 04-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Re: Can you bring dog food into Canada?

How would one tell it from Canadian food?

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #3

Garage

Old 04-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #4

I had no problem with bringing dried dog food across the borders. Your dog will need a recent health certificate, and verification of shots.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #5

We had no issues bringing our dogs to Vancouver Island last year. They didn't even ask about the food part. Also, we have never had any issues with this traveling to Baja either. We do always bring current documentation their shots.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

We have had a cabin in British Columbia for about 12 years. In all that time (several trips a year), we have never been questioned about dog food, either going into Canada or returning.
Same with papers. A couple of times I've been asked if they had health certificates, but never had a request to see them. Going up tomorrow, and they'll probably ask for both!!
Bill
Old 04-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #7

Paul,

We've never had problems returning to Canada, and I see no indication on Canada Border Service's website or the Government of Canada's website prohibiting dog food.

Heading down into the States, we've heard from friends who have had pet food confiscated because it wasn't in the original package. Also, a number of years ago when Canada had a few cases of mad cow disease, almost all meat products were banned from crossing into the the States, and US Customs would always ask about pet food. But, that is no longer the case (just keep it in the original package for your return trip).

Contrary to what Bill said, we have never been asked about rabies vaccinations, crossing either way.

Other advice? Don't bring a gun (or, if you do, know the rules and declare it!). Know what fresh foods are admissible. Typically, there are restrictions on apples, stone fruit, and citrus (and this goes both ways). Again, we've had more questions from US Customs, but that may be because we are Canadian.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 04-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #8

Called one bureau, they gave me the number to another, and they gave me another number, which a guy promptly answered with no phone menus or anything.

I asked him my question and he said "as long as you accompany the dog and the food," there are no restrictions beyond you are not allowed to take in more than 20 kilograms." I said "biscuits, too?" and "any flavor?" and he said "yes, nothing beyond no more than 20 kilograms."

I said "if you're saying it, that's official, right?" to which he responded "I should hope so. I'm in charge of pet food importation policy."

I swear I am not making this up. I am going to carry his number with me, anyway, just in case.

In the case of pepper spray, they said no small cans, but if it's a large can and says on the can that it is for use against bears, it's okay.

On to the next problem!

Paul