Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #1

Garage
cheat for removing an oil filter from a hard to reach spot

no clue if anyone has done this in the past, but i just discovered a cheap and easy way to remove an oil filter that just wouldnt come loose yesterday.

not an issue with the van, as some actual thought was put into the location of the filter on it. this was on my 89 civic rt4wd. i post this here cause i know many of the little cars have thier filters tucked away in hard to reach places.

on this car, the intermediate shaft keeps me from being able to use a filter removing tool or putting a screw driver through it and twist like you normally can with most cars. there just not enough space. i also use a oil filter from a 88 isuzu trooper (biggest filter i could find that fits on motor in stocker spot), so its bigger around and a little harder to get a hold of. well after crawling around trying to get this stupid thing off trying the normal methods of wiping it down really good and using a rubber glove with no luck. just couldnt get a grip on the filter. so as i lay there in a puddle of oil cursing, i think, hey what if i spray 3m adhesive on my hand? so walked inside and sprayed down my hand, let it get tacky, and crawled back under the car and bam, pos came right off. was still a real bitch, but i got it off

hopefully, it helps at least one of you in the future.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #2

Re: cheat for removing an oil filter from a hard to reach sp

How did you remove the 3m adhesive from your hand?

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #3

Garage

the oil that spilled out everywhere when the filter was removed got all over my hand and dissipated the adhesive completely. washed hands with regular dishsoap afterwards. i expected a mess and was planning on using laquor thinner or goo gone, but didnt need to.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 03-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #4

One thing I like about Fram oil filters is the grippy stuff they dip em in. I can't believe ANY oil filters are made without it!
Anyway, sounds like you invented your own.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #5

Garage

^^^ i totally agree. if the filter would have had that crap on the end, i dont think it would have been an issue. however the filters i use (wix) do not have the dip, so i found myself in a pickle.

i think the reason it was on so tight is because i installed it before the motor was in the car and had none of the components around it. i installed it so i didnt get any crap inside during assembly. with nothing in the way, its easy to get it too tight.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #6

I suppose you dip the back end of the new filter Plastic Dip prior to install.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Site Team

Personally I have a bad habit of over tightening oil filters. I must have paranoia of under tightening one.

Herb
Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
I suppose you dip the back end of the new filter Plastic Dip prior to install.
That's a great idea! Would it work, anyone? I don't know much about Plastidip but am curious if it could handle the prolonged heat.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:46 AM   #9

When this thread started I thought about sheet sandpaper. Take some course sand paper and wrap the filter at the bottom then try to turn. Might not even need to wrap all the way around. When installing the new filter just use your hand so you don't scratch your shiny new one. Of course I haven't tried it but it was a thought. And personally I'm in Herb's category, probably over tightening all of the filters I install.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #10

Garage

^^^ when i posted this in our local motorsports forum sandpaper did come up, but that really wouldnt have worked for my application. another guy used a leather belt. both great ideas.

and i dont think plastidip would work in this application either. once it gets oil soaked, youd be in the same boat. I do think it would handle prolonged heat though. ive seen guys autox on plastidipped wheels and you know the temps from the brakes get those things scorching hot. especially on a 95-100 degree day...which we get a lot of.

i have this phobia of my oil filter coming off at a race and oiling down the track. ive seen it happen to others and the crap people get from it seems to be never ending. might be more of a drag racing thing, but everytime i am putting on a filter, i remember the day a local guy i know had a filter come off at the dragstrip and how much BS he got from it. makes me tighten that filter just a little more every time, lol.