Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #11

Re: Chinook 4x4 Sighting

I think that observation, about it being for two, is rather interesting. Not many RV companies do customs, like SMB. What I think is interesting is how many only seem to market at retirees, i.e. couples. Friends of mine have a very nice 37' class A, but it's got very, very little room for guests. Even with the slide out they impede movement to the outside and use of the kitchen. It's not much more crowded for four in my SMB.

I would have thought that even absent customization they'd at least have four person versions, or deletes of equipment that would allow more room for sleeping or gear. The trailers seem much more oriented towards families with kids, and I've seen lowly tent trailers with more room for four than some fifth wheels.

Rob

Old 02-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Wow, very nice.

How does that body (fiberglass?) stand up to offroad pounding, I wonder. It seems to me that the Achilles heel of so many RVs used offroad isn't traction, getting stuck, etc, it's getting shaken to pieces on washboard. Might be that I spend lots of time in western deserts, and YMMV, but I'm always concerned with that. It's been amazing to me how the body of my SMB has stood up that. I saw a camper literally splitting at seams once near Saline Valley.

Like the duallies too.
From what I understand they are built like tanks. They are one seamless fiberglass shell so there's not much to shake loose from anything else, except I guess the cab from the shell perhaps, but I would doubt it. They don't leak anywhere on the roof unless you have an unusual problem, once again because they are a seamless fiberglass shell.

My plan for the 4 of us is/was to get ONLY a dinette model, so you have a foldout couch for two adults, a dinette bed for one youth and build a front seat bed for the other one. I think it would work nicely. They don't have a lot of storage outside but do have all of those upper cabinets. With a front bike rack one would be great. I still have not been able to find one close enough to look at in person but I think they have a lot to offer over a van. By a lot to offer I mean a shower.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia
This was Chinook's downfall for me, too. Perfect of one or two, not so great for three or more. This is why the PH sold me on a Sporty, though.
Yeah, I casually was eyeballing these too, but first thing I looked at was the amount of forward facing seating.

Herb
Old 02-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #14
Dia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia
This was Chinook's downfall for me, too. Perfect of one or two, not so great for three or more. This is why the PH sold me on a Sporty, though.
Yeah, I casually was eyeballing these too, but first thing I looked at was the amount of forward facing seating.

Herb
One of the dinette seats faces forward, and you can get a forward facing captain's chair if you get the lounge floorplan. Not sure about car seats, though.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia

Herb
One of the dinette seats faces forward, and you can get a forward facing captain's chair if you get the lounge floorplan. Not sure about car seats, though.
True, but better hope that shoulder belt works otherwise the dinette will have a nice impression of a forehead.