Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Re: Chipmunk, Field Mice Intrusion

You can fill the holes with steel wool and then seal with silicone. The little devils don't care for steel wool.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #12

Had my first encounter with a mouse (one confirmed) within one month after buying the 2010 SMB West van. I caught the bugger in a paper bag I was using for garbage (just some packaging, empty pudding container - think it liked that the most - and empty 22 oz. beer bottle. It was stepping on the crinkly packing materials, making a ruckus when I got up in the middle of the night and shined a flashlight around. Quite as a mouse. Back to sleep and up in 20 minutes when it started up again. This time I turned on the overhead lights and exclaimed who ever was in there would have to go now. I peeked in the bag and there it was. So I picked the bag up and opened the cargo door while it was trying to figure our what to do next - still as a mouse until I opened the door. It bolted up and out of the bag so fast it was just a blurr. I didn't know mice could jump so high - right out from bottom of 18" paper grocery bag.

Needless to say, I'm resolved never to keep garbage of any kind in the van, not even an empty beer bottle. Also making sure all food and paper products are locked tight in ziplock baggies, tupperware, and the frig or microwave. I've also taken to covering the sink with the fitting counter top piece to withhold all water - even drops in the bottom of the sink. Now to hunting down all those holes you guys are talking about. I found some daylight up under the dash for starters. This is beginning to look like a big project...
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #13

The problem is not garbage in the van.

The problem is mice getting in! You don't want those little guys coming in for warmth or dry or any other reason!

SMB should have sealed the van up tight so no critters could get in - Indiana left no openings in my van!

Crawl underneath and find all the little opening and pack them with steel wool and keep the critters out. I like the snake skin idea, but I wonder what the shelf life of a snake skin is?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2cool
Had my first encounter with a mouse (one confirmed) within one month after buying the 2010 SMB West van. I caught the bugger in a paper bag I was using for garbage (just some packaging, empty pudding container - think it liked that the most - and empty 22 oz. beer bottle. It was stepping on the crinkly packing materials, making a ruckus when I got up in the middle of the night and shined a flashlight around. Quite as a mouse. Back to sleep and up in 20 minutes when it started up again. This time I turned on the overhead lights and exclaimed who ever was in there would have to go now. I peeked in the bag and there it was. So I picked the bag up and opened the cargo door while it was trying to figure our what to do next - still as a mouse until I opened the door. It bolted up and out of the bag so fast it was just a blurr. I didn't know mice could jump so high - right out from bottom of 18" paper grocery bag.

Needless to say, I'm resolved never to keep garbage of any kind in the van, not even an empty beer bottle. Also making sure all food and paper products are locked tight in ziplock baggies, tupperware, and the frig or microwave. I've also taken to covering the sink with the fitting counter top piece to withhold all water - even drops in the bottom of the sink. Now to hunting down all those holes you guys are talking about. I found some daylight up under the dash for starters. This is beginning to look like a big project...
Neat stories..

Yes, big project.
I was going to recommend to potential or existing sportsmobile/home made vans that there is got to be a way to do a real "smoke" test to see if there are existing pathways that emit smoke to demo that pathways need to blocked. A smoke test might not work since the smoke would come out at even the tinest holes..

I think home build vans have the advantage since they get to see the inner wall of the van before they cover it up thus sealing it up good.

I don't know about new Sportsmobiles but my 96' isn't as sealed up as I thought it would be. I had sealed it up once before when I took the propane tank out to find out how and where a fuel smell was coming from and into the main cabin.
I eventually found out that there was a big gaping hole that you know who did in making room for the propane tank. It was a hack job. So I had previous sealed it at that location. I sealed it underneath the propane tank facing the drivers side but missed a spot facing rear and thats where we think they were getting in.. well, that's sealed now too.

So after taking and removing everything out, gaucho, white plywood wall, window frames, curtains, I've got the windows all closed up now to seem, actually smell if there is really anything Dead in there where I can't get too..
Funny but if I can't get to it, I just might let the ants and maggots take care of it.

Then there is the whole matter of em chipmunks getting into the engine compartment which I don't want to even think about. I didn't notice them going there at all on this trip for some reason and chewing on rubber hoses..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
PS
map of where ya were?
gps numbers ?
We were near here, it was awesome scenery weather-wise:
very cool

all bushwacking?
no prob w/ forest svc for 'wackin?
Yup, we bushwacked. Actually there are some obvious good trails that lead to spots off a bit that main road. Then there is the camp grounds..
We were there all week, did not see a soul or the ranger where we were.

Funny, I saw a Tan Sportsmobile with a matching Tan Trailer flyby down that main Owen River Rd, probably heading for Big Springs Campgrounds..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
Old 08-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #16

Well my house ceiling is proof the electronic gizmos don't work, just FYI.

As far as holes there are some doozies behind the taillights that mice could easily fit in, and the propane tank cover that is on some vans was really badly fitted on mine... as in a rat could probably squeeze in.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 AM   #17

Chipmunk, Field Mice Intrusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
... as in a rat could probably squeeze in.
Ah, but some rats can fit through a hole the size of a quarter!

Brent
Old 08-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Some rats come right through the window, eh, daveb?
Bill
Old 08-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #20
NRL

Well, good news, I found the body..
The body of a maggot eaten chipmunk, they had almost finished him up.
He ended up dying in the insulation behind the driver side back of the van sportsmobile side wall behind my closet.
Behind the wall where the insulation is and right above where the standard Ford drain bowl where water is supposed to drain, below the plywood that sportsmobile lays down. Smell of Death is practically gone after a few hours now.

Bad news is, I'm exhausted for completely removing the back closet. The closet is gone and all that's left is space next to where the fridge is. I kinda like having all that room. The closet and cabinet down below it really did take up room. That multitool and dremel and my 8hp vaccuum really did a nice job slicing and sucking up all that debris though the years, sand, maggots, chipmunk poop, seeds, chipmunk bedding, you name it, the tools sliced thru the plywood thick and thin. I'll seal it up nice and cover it back up with some something good. It'll probably take a few weekends to work on bringing it all back. One thing good, it'll be better then before. I'm going to make it so I can remove it with ease if something gets caught back there next time. Plus add some real insulation versus that thin foam pads they use.

I'll have pics tommorrow..
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu