Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Chipmunk, Field Mice Intrusion

Well, just got back from a nice vacation from Inyo County (North of Mammoth Lake). Had a great time camping new the Owens river with the sportsmobile and the dirtbikes(tons of cool snowmobile trails). About the only thing that pissed me off was the darn chipmunks(by morning and day) and field mice(by night) found a way in to the sportsmobile. Brave little suckers. They just jumped up to the axles and found a way in..

I had sealed it best I could but I guess not. They managed to find a way in but not all the way in. They managed to get to the last thing stopping them which was the thin white plywood barrier lining the side walls of the sportsmobile. I could hear them moving around scratching the barrier. Then they even got further to under neath the gaucho. I have an RB30 Aisle setup. The cabinet door underneath the gaucho was the only thing stopping them from getting into the main aisle.

So, I went and picked up a foam sealer and sealed up the presumed entrances. I took every opportunity to let them out and tried to make sure there was no critter left behind before I sealed it up but I think it worked to good since one of em critters might have either died or it's poop was stinking like a dead mice.
When I got back, I could smell death so I decided to take apart the whole thing looking for it and it's pretty sad to see the available access points when I removed the curtains, curtain rails, the window frame, screws after screws.
I managed to partially open up where the sportsmobile white wooden plywood barrier is located. Insulation was just a thin foam sheet. It definitely needs a redo and reseal, re-foam for insulation, to be done right. (new owners, beware)

well, I havent found it yet but I did manage to take apart almost all the custom work that sportsmobile did on the driver side. It's going to be a b*tch back together again but I will tend to improving the insulation and seal off the entry points inside and from down below.

One of the things I was thinking of doing was some kind of smoke test that can reveal entries points for critters, it might be a mute thing to do but a little protection could prevent this.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this,cause I don't need the chipmunk/mice hanta virus hanging around..

Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #2

Re: Chipmunk, Field Mice Intrusion

Dont have a solution but a story

My wife (new to USofA a few months from Thailand)
and i were shopping and i saw a bird feeder store

thought it would be cool for her garden

we went in, browsed and a clerk came up
I asked, how many can fit in this one
she said about 4 or 5
My wife looked right at her and said, How do you Cook them?

of course the clerk was blown away
my wife thought they were a Trap not a Feeder

So that said and done, maybe we can have Kho Pad Mice or Tom Yum Squirrel
next trip
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #3

PS
map of where ya were?
gps numbers ?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #4

expanding foam will not keep mice out or in. I have a cabin and we got mice in for the first time in 9 years this spring. I foamed up all the holes and they chewed right through the foam. Took them all night but they did it. This happened three times with them chewing through the foam no matter how much I put there. The only way to stop them is with metal. I went back and used aluminum flashing and covered all holes up with that and it works. The expanding foam is great for sealing air leaks and insulating but lousy on keeping mice out.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
PS
map of where ya were?
gps numbers ?
We were near here, it was awesome scenery weather-wise:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 9&t=h&z=14
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
Old 08-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
expanding foam will not keep mice out or in. I have a cabin and we got mice in for the first time in 9 years this spring. I foamed up all the holes and they chewed right through the foam. Took them all night but they did it. This happened three times with them chewing through the foam no matter how much I put there. The only way to stop them is with metal. I went back and used aluminum flashing and covered all holes up with that and it works. The expanding foam is great for sealing air leaks and insulating but lousy on keeping mice out.
Maybe longterm it won't keep em out but it kept them out for the rest of the trip..
It definitely stopped the chipmunks who were the more curious ones..
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
Old 08-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
NRL

Quote:
Dont have a solution but a story

My wife (new to USofA a few months from Thailand)
and i were shopping and i saw a bird feeder store

thought it would be cool for her garden

we went in, browsed and a clerk came up
I asked, how many can fit in this one
she said about 4 or 5
My wife looked right at her and said, How do you Cook them?

of course the clerk was blown away
my wife thought they were a Trap not a Feeder

So that said and done, maybe we can have Kho Pad Mice or Tom Yum Squirrel
next trip
Good Idea, I'll make a special entrance tunnel for them next time. We did catch one mice with a simple mouse head snapping trap.
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
Old 08-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
Quote:
PS
map of where ya were?
gps numbers ?
We were near here, it was awesome scenery weather-wise:
very cool

all bushwacking?
no prob w/ forest svc for 'wackin?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Never had chipmunk problems as they always seem to leave but mice have been bad for me. I bought some humane traps but you need to cage them or they will come right back in. I think they leave a scent trail. Finally bought a Ratzapper. But I also bought Fresh Cab and am trying that as well. http://www.earth-kind.com/ Check out the post below and read about the snake trick

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3491

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #10

For plugging holes where mice come through, try coarse steel wool, the mice don't like to chew on it.

Woody